Calf with bad back leg

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I have a calf about a week old, this morning when I went to check them the calf was holding up is back leg and not using it I checked it and couldn't feel anything wrong with it it doesn't feel hot and isn't swollen. So is there anything I sould do for it or just wait and see what happens? Thanks

If it were mine and it was still eating (nursing off of momma) and acting otherwise 'normal' I would give it a few days.

If it stops eating, looks mopey, doesn't get up much or even try to get up, then there's a problem that needs medical intervention.

Katherine

It could be his hip is out of joint. My last one was stepped on as a wee bit. The wound healed fine, but he walked slow and stiff legged. That is how he came to be here, couldn't keep up with the herd. After he had been here a week or so I had the vet out to look at him. He thought all was fine, but he worked his leg while feeling him up. He thought it popped. 2 days later he was trotting around. The time he was growing it was out of joint, but looked fine. It did effect him, but not noticeable until the weight really got on him. I just didn't grow him out as much before butcher. I only raise 2 at a time for the freezer so I get local orphans and rejects. They taste mighty fine and have a very spoiled life here.

Workinonit Farm":2vhqoo48 said:
If it were mine and it was still eating (nursing off of momma) and acting otherwise 'normal' I would give it a few days.

If it stops eating, looks mopey, doesn't get up much or even try to get up, then there's a problem that needs medical intervention.

Katherine

Ditto, I had a two week old calf this spring that moving him to summer grass he came out of trailer with his lower right leg snap into. :deadhorse: I just kept an eye on him and he kept up with the herd and was nursing so, I just let go. Weaned my calves 10/1/13 any one else wouldn't be able to find him! no limp nothing. If I pointed it out you could see just a slight over sized leg on one side. B&G

Latest posts