Calf with amputated front leg

Help Support CattleToday:

Donnybrook

Reaction score
Had a really hard pull on a calf with leg folded back, no way could we get the other leg so had to pull like he was. His front leg broke right above the ankle joint during the pull. He did great with his cast on for a week or so then accessed due to a bone chip. Vet amputated at the knee. Again he did great but Had a rough time getting his wrap on one night by myself and the next morn I realised it was too tight so put a new wrap on but it was hot and swelling and it continued to swell and was super hot for a couple days. He had antibiotics and everything we could think of. Over the next week it got much better but last weekend he got a small hole with no odor or puss but continued to get bigger until yesterday morn it was open clear across the stump and not on his stitch line. Tonight we have nasty odor and its open to the bone again. He has been wrapped the entire time with no stick gauze, iodine, fura zone, 3 inch layer of cotton and a layer of vet wrap and the very bottom has another layer of vet wrap to hold his rubber bumper on as he does walk on it some and to balance. He is 2 months old in a couple days. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this or any suggestions other than the fatal one which I do realise may be the end result. Thanks

That's tough luck.. I have used a 25% (maybe it was even 50%?) tetracycline powder intended for drinking water treatment as a poultice.. packing the wound with it before wrapping.. I made a paste out of it with a little water and packed hooves with it.. It worked for me..

Otherwise if you can't get it to start healing, I would have to agree with wbvs's prognosis

I'm sorry to hear about your rough luck. It always hurts to lose one, but it sure doesn't sound good. You're to be commended for trying so hard.

Just wanted to say Thank you to all for your replies and give an update. Happy to report he is doing great. Had a big round with scours and discovered the flap of skin the vet stitched across the bottom was dying so I cut it all off and he is healing great now and even going outside during the day and leaving wrap off at night to let the air to it muuuuch better. Thanks Again

Donnybrook":6fsxlfzm said:
Just wanted to say Thank you to all for your replies and give an update. Happy to report he is doing great. Had a big round with scours and discovered the flap of skin the vet stitched across the bottom was dying so I cut it all off and he is healing great now and even going outside during the day and leaving wrap off at night to let the air to it muuuuch better. Thanks Again

Great news!, glad to hear it.

Latest posts