Calf with a broken leg

Help Support CattleToday:

nagwag

Reaction score
http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/thumbs/calf_in_cast.jpg[img]

We just had the vet put a cast on a calf with a broken leg. The break is above the hock. I was just wondering how good a luck others have had with the leg healing with a break this high up. Cast has to stay on for 30 days unless the leg swells up below the cast. Today is day 3.

calf_in_cast.jpg[img]
[/img]

trying to repost the picture.

We had a break just like that on a day old calf. What we did different to that was to put like "basket handles" set into the top of the plaster up around the calf's hip, and then a shorter version on the inside of the leg, to keep the break straighter as the calf got up and lay down, if you can see what I mean. They were metal and limited movement of the break even further. If I was you, I'd be getting the vet to extend the plaster a little further and set a "handle" shape into it. With our calf, when he first did it, you could just lift the leg up and point it skywards, it was a complete snap. Ten days and there was no movement in the break, it was set. We left the caste on for longer than that though to err on the safe side and kept him strictly confined except for feed time off the cow. He grew into a big heavy steer with no limp.

We had one with a broken front leg he healed up well and sold as a steer, this year we had a calf break a shoulder took him to the vet they couldn't cast it but said short pen and just let heal. We will have to see, but I would think yours will heal up well.

I have had several broken legs through the years and they all did real well. It will heal and you wont be able to tell which calf it was in time.

It might heal the way it is, but if the calf's worth a lot of money I'd get another veterinary opinion. In the picture it looks as if the knee (stifle) is not immobilized enough to heal a break above the hock. Used to be a cardinal sin to not take the cast onto the hoof to prevent swelling, but perhaps it's a new fangled way of doing things. If you chose to leave it that way, restrict activity as much as possible.

Update - the vet took the cast off Tuesday and we let her outside last night. Vet said she had healed real well and was tearing around the barnyard after being let outside.

Latest posts