Calf weight at birth

Help Support CattleToday:

Coriellemcgill

Reaction score
We have Brangus cows and heifers paired with a Brangus bull. The cows/heifers weigh from 900-1700 and the bull weighs 2400 pounds. We have had to pull 8 calves out of both cows and heifers. The baby's weigh 80-120 pounds. Is that normal?

Brahmans don't have much for heart when it comes to calving or sport not surprising really. I've had to pull 50-60 pound calves off the couple Brahman crosses I have

mpassmore85":rj6i0fwo said:
Brahmans don't have much for heart when it comes to calving or sport not surprising really. I've had to pull 50-60 pound calves off the couple Brahman crosses I have
don't even sound close to right,,did they have heads like wash tubs..are come sideways???...

Coriellemcgill":3e4co38f said:
We have Brangus cows and heifers paired with a Brangus bull. The cows/heifers weigh from 900-1700 and the bull weighs 2400 pounds. We have had to pull 8 calves out of both cows and heifers. The baby's weigh 80-120 pounds. Is that normal?
Are theses all purebred???

not normal. brangus bull should throw a small linky calf that would hit the ground & be on a teat within minutes. brangus cattle are known to be easy calvers. you have a bull that is throwing big calves from genetics. I would get rid of him.

Coriellemcgill":wxoovz5e said:
My brangus usually have calves around 70-75 lbs. Have never pulled a calf from a brangus heifer or cow.

ALACOWMAN":3otxvkbz said:
mpassmore85":3otxvkbz said:
don't even sound close to right,,did they have heads like wash tubs..are come sideways???...

Lol no. Just was my luck I guess. The one I have to pull every single calf she was a brahman x jersey or possibly braunvieh. Calves all weaned over 700 and she lets everything else steal off her. And first 2 calves were from a yearling longhorn bull lol

8 out of how many? Well, it really doesn't matter - that's 8 too many!
A cow should be able to easily calve 8% of her body weight. So, 900# heifer should easily calve 72# and a 1700# should be able to spit out 136#
I would guess shape is more of the problem then weight. Which would be your bulls fault, unless all the hard calvers are closely related.

Latest posts