Calf Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

txlonghorn

Reaction score
I have 4 longhorn calves born in March/April timeframe. I currently have them with mom at larger ranch and want to bring them down to my home place for my wife to make pets of them. What is the earliest age a calf can be weaned. I am new to the cattle raising business and don't want to wean them too young, however, don't want to wait too long and they get to big to get close to.

I wean at about 6 months at the earliest. The past 3 years I pick 3 calves from the group and halter break them. The earlier you bring them home the sooner you have to feed them on your own. I would let mom and pasture foot the feed bill. Have your wife go out to see the calves with the moms. When it gets close to weaning time I take a bucket of sweet mix, grain, pellets, whatever, and go sit in the pasture. The calves are curious and will come up to ya. Throw a little treat to 'em, and after a few days they are eating out of your hand.

txlonghorn":2wsxzqap said:
I have 4 longhorn calves born in March/April timeframe. I currently have them with mom at larger ranch and want to bring them down to my home place for my wife to make pets of them. What is the earliest age a calf can be weaned. I am new to the cattle raising business and don't want to wean them too young, however, don't want to wait too long and they get to big to get close to.

I just weaned one off for someone who wanted a 4-H calf. 3 1/2 months old. If they will eat feed you can wean them. Took me three days and three different feeds to get her going on her own. I don't like to do it that early but they wanted her bad. I usually do nothing earlier than 5 months but have for various reasons before.

Dee had some decent advice.

We wean ours at about 205 days. Mama can feed them better and cheaper than we can + they are also eating grass, etc., to supplement milk from a couple of weeks of age and on.

Frequent exposure to the calves is important. Just visit them frequently, hold your hand out, be very still, let them lick your hand, offer them a handful of hay or grass, eventually most will let you pet them. All have different personalities and trust levels with humans.

To repeat, "frequent" contact and exposure to humans is important. Plus talk to them, get them used to your voice; it will come in handy when you are trying to work with them later.

We have weaned as early as 4 1/2 months, but that was due to a lack of grass. Like others said, no need to rush to put them on feed.

Ryan

txlonghorn":241359gk said:
=========
txlonghorn,

You may wean a calf at anytime. So long as you substitute nutrition needs. Early with a bottle and later with feed. Be aware there is a lot of work in bottle feeding calves. Guess it is based on how much one wishes to invest in time and effort to accomplish the desired objective.

In your post it would appear you wish to do it as early as possible. You may wish to start them in a calf feeder for a time while still on mom...then when they are eating good you can wean and continue the feeding with reduced workload and effort. Just some thoughts.

I have weaned as early as 60 days without any problems. It would be nice if they were eating grain before weaning. Still I've pulled them and got them going.
Steve

Latest posts