calf warts

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I have a bull I am raising up as a herd bull that developed warts on its face and neck, do you think this will effect his breeding later on in life? Someone told me he could have a weakened immune system because of it-also what to treat them with? I know they make a vaccine but heard its not too effective-anything else, some homemade remedy?Thanks

I see warts on most of my cattle. When I get them in the chute, I take a pliers and pull them off. Never causes a problem and they don't come back. I have seen speculation that crushing them off with a pliers may cause an autoimmune response that provides some protection against them. It seems to in my experience.

We had a bout of calf warts last year. Our vet said that sunlight is the best thing to make them disappear. Sure enough - the following year - they didnt have them. Some of the new babies have gotten them - apparently the older ones have an immunity to them? But we haven't had any stay with a calf - they are always gone by spring.

They aren't a big deal. They are common and eventually will go away on their own. Shouldn't affect his fertility or immunity.

inyati13":2p5uq1zm said:
I see warts on most of my cattle. When I get them in the chute, I take a pliers and pull them off. Never causes a problem and they don't come back. I have seen speculation that crushing them off with a pliers may cause an autoimmune response that provides some protection against them. It seems to in my experience.

this worked like a charm on the steer were raising...took a cpl weeks..maybe a month..he had em bad..clean as a whistle theyre gone