Calf w/ orange stool

Help Support CattleToday:

Josh

Reaction score
went out to check cows today and had a calf with an odd color stool stuck to his rearend. i went over to check it out and noticed that his stool was orange. i have never seen this before. any thoughts?

Josh":197wepdi said:
went out to check cows today and had a calf with an odd color stool stuck to his rearend. i went over to check it out and noticed that his stool was orange. i have never seen this before. any thoughts?

How old is the calf and what has it been eating?

Alice

he was born yesterday morning. and he has been nursing fine.

I don't know exactly what causes it, but I think it might have something to do with the residue of the mecronium. We've actually had quite a few with orange poop at this age, and they have all been fine. It usually clears up in a day or so.

Maybe it's just colostrum baby poop...probably it's just colostrum baby poop...

At this point, with the calf nursing his mother well, I don't know that I'd worry about it...at least not at this time. Chances are you won't see it like that again.

Josh, what color is your soil...could the calf have been laying down in something like red clay type soil and pooped and...nah, that's a stretch.

Keep an eye on him, but I really don't think it's anything to worry about. However, my experience is in bottle baby calves, so others might very well have a much different opinion.

Alice

I have seen that too.It is colostrum fecal waste or as Alice said poop.You will see it more common in calves out of older cows as there colostrum is usually a rich syrupy yellow color.To me that is a good thing it means they are getting alot of nutrition right off the bat.However if the calf is ill in anyway than that is probably not the situation in this case.
Syd

thanks for the thoughts. i have just never seen it before. i will keep an eye on him.

The orange colored stool is normal and is not a big concern.
The first stool is normally black then it changes to orange then it will change again to another color.

s

Normal for new calves...orange, yellowish orange/brown, whitish orange yellow...all normal you need to worry when it gets loose...watery and you are having trouble (look up scours). Sticky.....don't worry.
The little ones never seem to plop when you have the time to watch them.
Just my two bits worth.....DMc

orange poop is the bomb. it means the calf has nursed and everything is working properly. i love finding orange poop almost as much as my dog does.

Beefy":2nvofr2t said:
orange poop is the bomb. it means the calf has nursed and everything is working properly. i love finding orange poop almost as much as my dog does.
:lol: Dogs sure love the stuff don't they

*Cowgirl*":1x34p3rb said:
Beefy":1x34p3rb said:
:lol: Dogs sure love the stuff don't they

Apparantly Beefy is pretty found of it as well. Wonder if his breath........Nah, probably leaves it for the dog

dun

OK, Don't take this the wrong way, but the sight of orange poop on a few day old calf is a beautiful sight. It is the colostrum passing through. The poop still tends to be a bit sticky at that age so quite often you will see it stuck to their rear end or sides where they have laid in it.
Sounds like your baby & momma are doing exactly what they're supposed to. Congrats.

Latest posts