Calf update

Help Support CattleToday:

I just know that with the botched horn removal, once I got rid of the critters in it, it healed really quickly.. they may have been beneficial for a time, no doubt.. when I got rid of them the flesh there was very clean and there was no detritis. At the time I didn't have any good fly spray, I swear by Absorbine now for such stuff.. very effective and long lasting.

Nesikep":38eq6ci0 said:
I just know that with the botched horn removal, once I got rid of the critters in it, it healed really quickly.. they may have been beneficial for a time, no doubt.. when I got rid of them the flesh there was very clean and there was no detritis. At the time I didn't have any good fly spray, I swear by Absorbine now for such stuff.. very effective and long lasting.

The Aborbine is good to know. But I just gotta ask, what made you try that in the first place? There's several other things I would have tried before that and it would not have made the list of things to use.

Tuff is still doing great...Even after so much rain and sogginess, wound is looking pretty doggone good...No pictures yesterday, i had the 3yr old to keep an eye on while messing with the calf....pictures today and posted tomorrow morning..

backhoeboogie":1z06m9mf said:
Nesikep":1z06m9mf said:

The Aborbine is good to know. But I just gotta ask, what made you try that in the first place? There's several other things I would have tried before that and it would not have made the list of things to use.
It's what I had available.. the residual effect is the good thing about it. On my C section heifer I spray the cut once a week or so with it, flys stay off and there's little danger of anything going wrong now, it's scabbed up pretty good

I'm going to mention this, but I want to be clear I've never used it for wound treatment myself. Back when I did a lot of taxidermy there was a gentleman/chemist named Glenn Conley that developed a product called Stop Rot. He marketed only as a product for taxidermy, but it's applications would be enormous if not for regulations. He looked into getting it approved for medical use, but it was far too cost prohibitive to complete the testing required. In short, what is does is prevents tissue from decaying. I've dipped pieces of raw meat in it and then set them on a shelf for weeks, they never rotted. In his trials, Mr. Conley used Stop Rot on numerous animal wounds, and documented the progress on a taxidermy site I used to frequent a lot. The way it promoted healing and prevented dead tissue was remarkable. There are a lot of people that used Stop Rot for their own medical issues as well such as eczema. Mr. Conly has since passed away, but Stop Rot is still being sold through taxidermy supply catalogs. It's quite cheap, about $20 for a quart bottle. It's well worth having on hand for these types of cases.

Finally got another picture.. Still healing fast. There is some, i'm not sure what it is, maybe cartilage, bone, but the dark stuff in the middle, but it needs to come off. Feels really stuck though. Vet said it would come off, so i'm crossing my fingers it loosens some or i'll let my husband pick it off...
Anywho, looks great. Tuff is doing well, spending more time up and getting into things.

I also want to mention that the salve i've been using on this wound is working very well. We got it at the vet for a calf who lost a hoof. It was left with a meaty nub and i was suppose to apply this salve and wrap it up. DId it once, 3 minutes later, the bandage came off in the 12 inch deep mud. I gave up on doctoring it and amazingly it healed on its own...So i already had the tub of salve, which was what i was told to put on it...Vedco is what its called. Has worked very very good. I recommend it..

Still improving.. Looks like nothing more than a bad scrape now. The bony thing on top the vet said should come off, did. All by itself too. I was pretty relieved that i didnt have to do it.

Running out of calving cows so its looking like Tuff will not be a graft calf. So, in a few weeks, he'll probably go to live in the lap of luxury at my sister in laws with a couple goats and a mini donkey. He'll never know he's a bovine. He wont have to worry about cougars there.

To remind just how deep and awful this wound was..

And how it is now....not bad at all now.

Tuff butt got mixed in with some heifer's calves and was castrated and vaccinated along with everyone. He has 2 chances left to get a graft mother...although, i'd rather not lose a calf.
Wound is small now, i'm leaving it alone to finish healing.

It's amazing what they can overcome! The wound looks great in the last picture, you'd never know just how bad it was to start with.

Its almost healed..This picture was after a rain so it looked red again....but so far, its looking really good. Thought for a while he needed to have more bone cut out, but doesnt seem to need done. Good thing the cat got him in this spot, i think on the other side of his hips he would have been paralyzed.. The bone is all deformed now where it was crushed. I'm sure in time it will be covered in muscle. Working now to get him to eat grain, ugh, he's not cooperating.