Calf treatment suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Fellow rancher called me and ask me to take a heifer calf she had.
Timeline for calf:
Large calf out of small second calf cow pulled on the 3/9/17
Turned out two days later to pasture with the rest of the herd (not by her choice)
Calf went missing on the 21's and 22nd. Seemed to be fine before that. They thought it might be dead and gone. (Coyotes)
Found on the 23rd very weak. She had two injuries on her. One in her pit and one on her butt.
Brought mom and baby into the corrals for treatment.
Tube fed lambs milk since the 23rd and nursing mom when they get her up. But doesn't seem to be getting adequate milk from mom. She also got diarrhea on the lambs milk so she added the electrolytes.
Front knee's are swollen but couldn't tell me how long they noticed them swollen.
She had Draxxin on the 23rd by the rider who found her and then 2cc's of banamine and 6cc's of LA300 this morning. (4/1/17)
When I went to pick her up tonight she said she was moving better but I could clearly see pretty swollen joints. Some heat in them but not terrible. No swelling in the naval at all but she has had antibiotics so maybe that's gone now?
I would like to treat her with Nuflor but not sure how long to wait after LA300. I don't cross antibiotics here so I'm not sure what would be the right thing to do.
She didn't drink her bottle tonight but I believe she's just being lazy because they were tube feeding her. Also the milk taste funny as it's not moms. She did go up to mom and want to nurse but mom is wild and because we were there she wasn't having any part of it. Mom btw is growing wheels!
Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm giving her a week or so shot at recovery.
Tonight when I attempted bottle feeding I gave her vitamin B complex and probiotics. Hopefully by morning she will be hungry enough to try.
Not the greatest pictures but the best I could do in the dark.
Thanks in advance! I don't have experience with joint I'll as we treat umbilicals on any calves up front in the calving pens or pulled calves. We've been lucky for a long time.

Nuflor, banamine, Probiotics and tube fed pm meal as she still won't suck. Maybe 1/2 a pint went down at a trickle this morning.
Up and walking much more than yesterday and even got up on her own once that I saw today.
Withheld water today/tonight and left a pail of milk for the night.
Knee's look bigger to me than last night but she's very alert. Calling for mom (who isn't here) and even trying the panels a bit this evening.
Still looking for suggestions.
Thanks

Joint/navel ill is a real booger to treat. Since you will probably have to go off label to treat it effectively I would contact your vet.

Calves are often hard to get on a bottle if they have been on a cow.Doesn't taste or feel like mom to them. You will have to back her butt in a corner, straddle her neck, and put the nipple in her mouth and put your hand around her muzzle (LOOSELY) to keep the nipple in there and let her chew, fight, whatever til she figures out that it is drinkable. Sometimes will take several feedings then all of a sudden the LIGHT WILL GO ON, and she will want the bottle. Get an ALL MILK milk replacer 20/20 fat protein. NO SOY. If you had goats milk I would say to mix in about a pint of water in the bottle as it sometimes feels thicker to them. I have a friend that milks goats and raises calves but I milk cows and raise calves mostly on the real stuff if I can.
The other sounds like joint ill and vet advice is best.

farmerjan":2qxrt1lu said:
Calves are often hard to get on a bottle if they have been on a cow.Doesn't taste or feel like mom to them. You will have to back her butt in a corner, straddle her neck, and put the nipple in her mouth and put your hand around her muzzle (LOOSELY) to keep the nipple in there and let her chew, fight, whatever til she figures out that it is drinkable. Sometimes will take several feedings then all of a sudden the LIGHT WILL GO ON, and she will want the bottle. Get an ALL MILK milk replacer 20/20 fat protein. NO SOY. If you had goats milk I would say to mix in about a pint of water in the bottle as it sometimes feels thicker to them. I have a friend that milks goats and raises calves but I milk cows and raise calves mostly on the real stuff if I can.
The other sounds like joint ill and vet advice is best.

Thanks for the advice. :)
Unfortunately it's $330 just to get the vet to show up. Not a realistic option. Hence the looking for advice. Already called around.
I've done a lotof bottle calves over the years and this one is just having no part in it. Probably a combination of to much tube feeding and being on mom. Trying to get her on a bucket but we just started so we'll see.
I use cow replacer milk only. Absolutely no soy. :) Learned MANY years ago soy was bad.
Again! Thanks for the advice.

Let her go for 24 hours with no tube feeding. Her throat is also very sore and that will turn them off of bottles. Sounds like the bucket with milk might work if she gets hungry enough. Also put a bucket with water and add electrolytes to the water so if she drinks that instead, she at least will be getting some energy. I don't know the best drug for navel ill. LA and pen should not be given together but I have switched other drugs 48 hours later....

If you're not going to have the vet out, then start Nuflor at 3 cc/100 lbs every day for a looooong time. How long? Not sure. You will need a vet to get the Nuflor though so you might just call and ask one. That's assuming it is naval ill.

Update on the calf:
She is still fighting to survive. So we're still trying.
She's gaining weight. Can no longer see her rib like we could. Getting around slowly but at times able to get herself up when I walk up. She's now able to fold her front legs under her.
Front knees are still swollen but other swelling seems to have subsided.
She's refused the bucket and the bottle so she's being tube fed for now (which I'm not happy about) but was getting too weak as she already came extremely thin. We still try for the bucket.
She's urinating and having bm's now consistently which she didn't do when she came.
She's been starting to try and eat grass and we're consistently giving grain and she's now chewing and swollowing it. Hasn't quite got the "go to the feeder and eat it" yet but she's trying. So very hopeful we can early wean from milk and stop tube feeding which I know is painful. Will still put milk powder on her grain.
She's getting Nuflor once daily. Vitamin B complex and probiotics. I've stopped the pain meds. Went from every day to every other day to now no more. Not good to be on them long. So it's slowed her down a bit more but she's still very alert and peppy. She's finally stopped balling for her mom also.
Thanks to everyone who's responded. It's much appreciated.
Really rooting for this little one but I'm still very guarded she will make it. Especially as a productive member of the herd. Time will tell.

It is very difficult to get a calf to suck a bottle when it has been on the cow that long. If you have ever tried sucking on a calf bottle yourself you will find it takes a lot of suction and chewing to get anything coming. The calf has no idea this is food and does not have as strong of a reflexive sucking instinct like it did at birth. I have had really good luck with making the nipple opening big enough that it runs out if you tip it upside down. Get the calf between your legs and hold it and put the bottle in its mouth. Keep the bottle level at first so you don't choke it, but then tip it a bit so some dribbles in their mouth. They will usually swallow it and after a bit they usually realize this is food and start drinking. Sometimes it will take a few more days before they figure out they can get more faster with some suction. Once they have figured it out, I switch back to a regular bottle to slow them down some. It helps to have two people at first, so one can handle the calf and the other controls the bottle.

Thanks Katpau!
We have a variety of nipples of different sizes and hole sizes. :) Thats how we do it as well.

Calf update:
Calf has been humanely euthanized.
As long as she was willing to fight so were we. She gave up the fight.
Thank you to everyone who offered advice.

Latest posts