calf trapped in water tank

Help Support CattleToday:

braunvieh

Reaction score
We had a 600 pound heifer calf that got into our huge fiberglass stock tank in the pasture. We think she was in there at least 24 hours before we discovered her, she was still alive and standing on her front legs but her back legs were sprawled out like a frog behind her. The tank is not really high on the sides but has a lip on the top that curves in and apparently she just kept slipping and could not get out. We got her out but she was down, her back legs were very stiff, we had the vet out, he gave her electrolytes, antibiotics, we got her home and treated her but she never ate or drank (we had to tube her water) and she never could get up, but she did try a little but not much. She died after 3 days like this. Anyone ever have this happen?? She was very alert in the tank when we got to her, she just could not get up.

It is a large stocktank, probably about 30 inche tall sides, but the top of the sides curve in slightly to prevent runover. She was tall enough that the top of the tank was right at the top of her leg or brisket level. Sits on level ground, have had it for 3 years and never had a problem like that before.

It is a large stocktank, probably about 30 inche tall sides, but the top of the sides curve in slightly to prevent runover. She was tall enough that the top of the tank was right at the top of her leg or brisket level. Sits on level ground, have had it for 3 years and never had a problem like that before.

She may have broken her pelvis... or it may have been shock/stress that killed her... once they go down like that once, it takes a long time for their muscles/tendons to heal. I've seen it happen to fresh cows/heifers after calving if they get on slick surfaces, like ice or concrete, and sometimes they'll recover, sometimes they won't.

Sorry about your freak accident, braunvieh.

I had one to get her head hung in the vee of a trailer tongue, and another to get her hoof hung in the vee of a different trailer tongue. Both seemed like impossible accidents, and I lost both cows.

I have never been able to save a down cow. Now if I have a downer she gets put down and not by the vet. It's a lot cheaper than having a vet do it.

had one get stuck in a feed trough. laid there like a turtle upside down for a sec. got up and was fine. that sounds like bad luck. sorry!!

We had one last year that got stuck between the bars of a hay feeder. We think she was riding one that was in heat and fell off. It was the only way we could see her getting stuck like that. You could see where she drug it around with her during the night. We got her out but sshe had to be put down...

We had one last year that got stuck between the bars of a hay feeder. We think she was riding one that was in heat and fell off. It was the only way we could see her getting stuck like that. You could see where she drug it around with her during the night. We got her out but sshe had to be put down...Sorry for your loss

Very sorry for your loss. Cattle continue to do totally amazing things sometimes.

I wonder how she got into the tank in the first place. Perhaps she was pushed in and injured her back in the process? Or hurt herself trying to get out. There's really no way to tell, but you did your best!

braunvieh":11fun6u2 said:
We had a 600 pound heifer calf that got into our huge fiberglass stock tank in the pasture. We think she was in there at least 24 hours before we discovered her, she was still alive and standing on her front legs but her back legs were sprawled out like a frog behind her. The tank is not really high on the sides but has a lip on the top that curves in and apparently she just kept slipping and could not get out. We got her out but she was down, her back legs were very stiff, we had the vet out, he gave her electrolytes, antibiotics, we got her home and treated her but she never ate or drank (we had to tube her water) and she never could get up, but she did try a little but not much. She died after 3 days like this. Anyone ever have this happen?? She was very alert in the tank when we got to her, she just could not get up.

Her trying to jump out of this tank would be similar to you trying to jump a 3' high barrier while standing on ice. It sounds like a freak accident of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I'm curious as to how many pairs this tank services?

sounds to me like she may have dislocated her hips slipping while trying to get out.

I had a very spirited black angus heifer that was about 3 mths pregnant - we were gone all day - came home, checked the cattle and she laid down the hill in the snow with half of the hay ring around her neck. She had been there for awhile because of the marks in the snow and ice on her fur.

Her spirit was broke that day because she let us get the ring off of her, get her in the barn, got beef drench down her throat without a tube and combed off the ice crystals from her fur -- I thought for sure that even if she made it she was going to apport -- but she didn't - she was back to normal the next day and delivered a healthy calf right on time.

From that moment on I find myself checking and changing the strangest things -- it's like child proofing your house. Cattle are such curious creatures - the oddest things will happen.

Very sorry for the loss -

they do freaky things, you wonder how they get that way.
i had one get her head hung under a truck, she reached in to get some grass and raised her head up and couldn't get out. i found her and got her loose, i had to push her head to the ground to get her loose. she was swelled and confused but she was alright in a couple of days.
a friend of mine had a big brahman bull get upside down on a concrete water tank that was built in a pond bank, found him dead with his feet in the air. two bulls were pushing around and he got pushed over.

was feeding some heifers one feb. afternoon during a ice storm when they finished walked out in the pasture one of em walked out on a low place that froze over and did the splits broke through the ice and just lay there couldnt get up or just wouldnt. but she had to get out it was gonna be 10 below that night. so i got the tractor rope and hot shot figure id hit her with the juice first. it worked she never was right after that. it either fractured her pelvis or pinched a nerve cause she would be walking alone and all of a sudden she would lock up in the rear and go down

ALACOWMAN":14uwrc1n said:
it either fractured her pelvis or pinched a nerve cause she would be walking alone and all of a sudden she would lock up in the rear and go down

Pinched nerves are common in ice conditions and the only one I've had I lost. I only gave her an hour but it was severe cold.

This is a good thread for all that are reading when someone show pics of their facilities and they are advised that certain things may be dangerous for their cattle/calves. Take it serious, or pay the price.

Latest posts