Calf table and castrating

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the info. I like being able to access the whole calf especially during castration. Do you think it would hold a 350lb calf? Most calves would be in the 30-90 window, but I do have a small fall herd as well and sometime due to weather they don't get worked as soon as we'd like, so they are on the bigger side. Normally takes two ropers to head and heal to hold them securely.

I castrated in the SO4 not long ago. Had no problems holding some pretty small calves. The calves were 60-120 days old.

My only complaint about castrating in the squeeze is it's hard on a big boy to get down under those calves. I was kneeling on the bottom pannel when it flips out and it was killing me. I'm a little banged up and have one knee in pretty rough shape. When your sitting there trying to get nuts to drop and what not, kneeling, hunched up, it doesnt take too many to wear you down.

A buddy is going to lend me a calf table to test drive.

We threw one and cut it on its side. It was easier from the cutting side but you had to throw it.

I had a hard time grabbing the nuts on some of the smaller ones. As long as I could get a hold of them I could pull them easily with no blood.

Next time I will make sure every calf is at least 90 days.

Also, I started off holding the bottom of the sack in my left hand and using a scalpel to cut above my thumb. It's not bad but made me nervous. After two or three calves you could tell the blade was dulling on the scalpel.

I ended up using a big pair of needle nose pliers with the 90 deg bend in the end. It's perfect to reach and grab the bottom of the sack. Then you can run a knife right above it with out worrying about fingers. Also went to using one of those pocket knife deals with the razor blades. They last a lot better and the longer blade was quicker.

Thanks for the info. I like being able to access the whole calf especially during castration. Do you think it would hold a 350lb calf? Most calves would be in the 30-90 window, but I do have a small fall herd as well and sometime due to weather they don't get worked as soon as we'd like, so they are on the bigger side. Normally takes two ropers to head and heal to hold them securely.
You might if the calf is pretty calm. But it wild at all, the big ones can push the folding side out a little, which can let the front gate open and then escape before you can grab them with the neck and body holders. By 350# I think I would just use the squeeze chute. I have a Lakeside LS 350 that has the parallel squeeze down to 16 or 18" for that size.

I have an arrow that squeezes down to hold the smaller calves (350lbs), just hard to casterate or brand them on the rib since they aren't as long as a cows/bulls. So you have to open the side door to get a good brand which sometimes work and sometimes doesn't. Prefer to rope them, but sometimes with just one or two faster than getting the horse and additional hands.

Anyone use a Filson calf table, that would be my 2nd choice I think since it will do up to 400lbs, so they advertise. Don't have dealers for either one of the calf tables, so have to order blindly.

I have a Filson I got used at a dispersal. It's alright, but only use it at the working facilities where I have my hydraulic chute. I stick it in front of the hydraulic and run the calves through. My other working facilities I just use my manual Powder River and band in it, works fine if we're only doing a couple dozen. I'm sure I could stuff a 350 lb calf in the Filson, but when you go to spin it, the body weight really wants to throw it over and if you don't get it latched laid over the calf may be on its back before you know it. 250 lbs is more manageable. Calves get pretty squirmy hot branding in it too. We pull a leg to keep from smearing the brand when they hunch up, took a little time and some crappy brands to figure that out. It's also a bit of a challenge to get it set up on the rollers without a couple guys and some pry bars.

Flynengr

Thanks for info on the Filson. The only calf table I have ever been around is a power river and calves were squirlly in it as well and we had to hold back legs for branding not to mention it was awkward for cutting.

Brute I could never pencil one out. I only had 81 or so mommas. Most were banded at birth or by day 3 anyway. I've used one out in Ranger, TX quite a bit. I admit they are nice but its not like I am doing hundreds of calves.

I was browsing the old inter-web while it's kinda of a slow day and ran across a CT made by realtuff. Anyone use or have experience with it?

So if you're using a table where do the ropes go? Drag them to the table? Surely you're not missing out on the most fun part or calf working day? ;)

Update, Ok, so today we branded calves. I borrowed a neighbor's table to try to see how we'd like it. Worked cows first, went smooth as usual, then slid the table in place and loaded up the alleyway. I think we got through 10 calves and said the neck with and just went to throwing calves. 20x times faster than the table even with having to wrestle the big calves down. Yes we were all worn out when all said and done, but one thing we all agreed on was roping was the way to go. Maybe a different table would help some, but all the help said they much rather wrestle calves than stand around waiting to fill the alley.

CL find for $600. It doesn't have self catch. But if by myself can walk 'em up, w/ front catch closed, close back, THEN head catch.

I don't use the tilt, actually bolted it solid. I band 'em from the back, vac, notch, tag and let 'em out.

We just use it a a mini-squeeze chute.

(internet pic. Mine has a little more "patina")

Attachments

• Calf table.jpg
    Calf table.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 7
Neighbor had one of the green ones. It was OK, but bars are always in the way. We bought a Cow Country table and now they borrow mine and his is till sitting in the corner of my pen.

I have had a roper tipping table made by 2w for 20 years they work pretty well.

That reminds me Kenny, I asked about the guy who invented the immobilizer. My friend did no know what happened. He was friends with his son but he was going to ask.
Ever find out any more about him. Mine is giving some problems. Battery isnt charging anymore. I took it to a guy today but if he cant fix it im looking for one soon.

Update, Ok, so today we branded calves. I borrowed a neighbor's table to try to see how we'd like it. Worked cows first, went smooth as usual, then slid the table in place and loaded up the alleyway. I think we got through 10 calves and said the neck with and just went to throwing calves. 20x times faster than the table even with having to wrestle the big calves down. Yes we were all worn out when all said and done, but one thing we all agreed on was roping was the way to go. Maybe a different table would help some, but all the help said they much rather wrestle calves than stand around waiting to fill the alley.
2 vaccines, an antibiotic, brand and rfid tag. Average 40 seconds per calf as long as no horns. Horns take another minute to burn off. All bulls are banded at birth and we work them standing.

We roped and drug calves to the irons for years until it became too much of a party for uninvited participants. Have gone to a few since and roped, helped or watched. Too many calves not getting shots, brands on wrong side, horns missed…. That all costs money! I have had my fun and now I run a business, using my cattle for a fun day is not part of it.
I really enjoy a well run rope and drag branding but they are getting fewer and farther between.IMG_0016.jpegThis old table holds a pretty big calf. We band bought ones in it standing.

Latest posts