Calf table and castrating

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Starting to look at a few calf tables for castrating. One thing I think I will need for sure is a self catch so I am able to do it by myself if need be. The one I found that I liked was $3200. Not saying we cant do that but that seemed high.

Any suggestions on good brands, likes and dislikes? I'll also take any tips.

We have a Priefert SO4 but I'm not sure how small of a calf I could catch in it.

Thanks

greggy

Reaction score
If too small for a head bale, just get them in a corner, or, in the pen leading to chute, band them, quick and easy.....

I do them often when eating or drinking milk, if not quiet, corner them in pen or use sheep race.

Should be able to catch any animal not easily man handled in your chute.

bird dog

Reaction score
Your SO4 will work fine. I have had week old calves in mine numerous times. Sometimes its best to just walk them in, hold them in place and shut the head gate. Its very simple for me but I band my calves by just letting down the side bar panels and bending over. It helps if you have someone to hold the tail up. Cutting calves that size would not be much different.

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
After I bought Priefert S04 chute , I sold my filson calf table. Have worked a lot of 150 lb calves in the Priefert. Thought about hanging a removable 2x6 just inside chute at top of bottom door so could squeeze them a little better but never did it. I was banding instead of cutting. Maybe try a few thru the Priefert and see how it works for you. Could also try putting a wooden pallet inside chute on right side to make it squeeze better. Before I got adjustable alleyway, I lined 1 side with pallets to keep calves from turning around.

chaded

Reaction score
I use the S04 for smaller calves but I don’t use the headgate. Well, actually I did once. The calf wasn’t really long enough so while his head was caught he was kind of stretched out and he had his legs caught trying to get out and it was a big mess for a couple minutes. Lol. It worked better just shutting the headgate and using the squeeze to hold them. I band though so I’m not really sure how well that would work cutting them.

GoWyo

Reaction score
These are awesome. Steel version of the Johnson calf table. Will be worth almost original money when you sell it.
https://www.cowcountry.net/index.php?page=calf-tables

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
kenny thomas said:
Check out an immobilizer. Much easier and cheaper.

That reminds me Kenny, I asked about the guy who invented the immobilizer. My friend did no know what happened. He was friends with his son but he was going to ask.

kenny thomas

Reaction score
sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:
Check out an immobilizer. Much easier and cheaper.

That reminds me Kenny, I asked about the guy who invented the immobilizer. My friend did no know what happened. He was friends with his son but he was going to ask.
Best money I ever spent in the cattle business and I have spent a lot

Bigfoot

Reaction score
This wont help you, but I bought a used priefert calf table. Think I gave $300 for it. We've had an exceptional year banding at birth (probably because were quarantined). Not looking like I'll have any to cut in it.

OP
Brute 23

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Bigfoot said:
This wont help you, but I bought a used priefert calf table. Think I gave $300 for it. We've had an exceptional year banding at birth (probably because were quarantined). Not looking like I'll have any to cut in it.

For sale? :) I can do $300.

Dave

Reaction score
Brute 23 said:
Bigfoot said:

For sale? :) I can do $300.
$300 that is what I paid for my used Powder River calf table. They are around.

GoWyo

Reaction score
I have one and use it every year for branding and cutting. Pros are full access to the entire side of the calf and it holds them securely. Way better access than pretty much any other table available. Cons - none that I can think of except cost. Worth the investment. You do need a person pushing calves in and same person can hold legs for cutting. Two people can work calves pretty easily.

mickroos65

Reaction score
I have one and use it every year for branding and cutting. Pros are full access to the entire side of the calf and it holds them securely. Way better access than pretty much any other table available. Cons - none that I can think of except cost. Worth the investment. You do need a person pushing calves in and same person can hold legs for cutting. Two people can work calves pretty easily.