calf swelled joints in hind legs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I noticed a 300 ib. calf swelled in joints in hind legs he's walking a little gingerly but other than that he seems healthy.Anyone have any ideas?I'm wondering about hoofrot.

[email protected]

I'm wondering about mycoplasma instead. Frankly, penicillin won't touch it, but tetracyclines would, and they treat footrot so go in that direction instead of pen. Good Luck

V

You are the vet, I just listen and learn. Would an IM injection of a diuretic help with this swelling?

> I'm wondering about mycoplasma
> instead. Frankly, penicillin won't
> touch it, but tetracyclines would,
> and they treat footrot so go in
> that direction instead of pen.
> Good Luck

> V

[email protected]

IM diuretics such as lasix (furosemide) have a very transient effect. Frankly, if this was my calf, I'd do a full exam including Temp Pulse Resp, possible joint tap and culture of the affected joint(s) and proper treatment. If someone was just going to pop an antibiotic into this animal, I just wanted to advise that penicillin doesn't treat mycoplasma, and that tets do. I can't diagnose based on this limited history enough to be sure of any treatment, which is why I usually advise someone to seek proper veterinary advice. I guess I forgot this time. We're all human, and I'm a little more human than most, I guess! V

I've actually used Lincospectin for it, but it was multiple etiologies in these animals including BRSV, mycoplasma and hemophilus. We had good response to the respiratory, not great response to the joints, and I can't say that I blame the antibiotic--there were some really sick cattle that survived but were subsequently culled for arthritis. Hmmm...more information than you asked for! V

> IM diuretics such as lasix
> (furosemide) have a very transient
> effect. Frankly, if this was my
> calf, I'd do a full exam including
> Temp Pulse Resp, possible joint
> tap and culture of the affected
> joint(s) and proper treatment. If
> someone was just going to pop an
> antibiotic into this animal, I
> just wanted to advise that
> penicillin doesn't treat
> mycoplasma, and that tets do. I
> can't diagnose based on this
> limited history enough to be sure
> of any treatment, which is why I
> usually advise someone to seek
> proper veterinary advice. I guess
> I forgot this time. We're all
> human, and I'm a little more human
> than most, I guess! V Vicki how long would you give tetracycline 3-4 days? And how long before you should see a reduction in swelling if it works?What are the long lasting effects this ailment has on the animal?Would you cull it?By the way thank you and everyone else that posted!

[email protected]

Without seeing the calf, I don't know how long antibiotics will be required, nor which is best. Generally, you're likely looking at a minimum 7 days treatment. Other products, such as DMSO are used in the equine industry (they're legal in horses, not cattle) to pull the swelling out of the joint and speed improvement. Since I don't know if you have a joint effusion or infection, antibiotics are not definitely going to work. If the calf is febrile, I'd definitely use one, though. Oxytetracycline comes in a short and long acting form. Short acting is daily, long acting is every 48 hours. (with a much longer withdrawal to slaughter) Excenel (naxcel??) has a zero withdrawal and may work but I've been less than impressed with it's movement into joints. Nuflor probably would work as well--I can't think of it's efficacy against joint organisms including mycoplasma off the top of my head with the cold I've got.....gotta love calving season and the lack of sleep.....

If the animal improves and is sound, take it to slaughter weight. If it is gimpy, I'd probably slaughter as red veal (

Latest posts