Calf Sucking Question

Help Support CattleToday:

MTNCREEKFARMS

Reaction score
I have just a beef calf that is in with one of my reg. brangus heifers and the beef calf has started sucking on my heifer. As of right now I have had them seperated, but was wondering if it would be ok to leave them together and just let her suck if she does or to leave them seperate. What would yall do.. Thanks

First, is the calf old enough to wean?
If so, separate them.

If its a bottle calf, and the heifer has enough milk, no harm, unless she is getting close to calving.

Really not enough info to go on. Just taking shots in the dark.

No.. you need to split them. It's not good for the heifer that's getting nursed, and it isn't good for the calf to think he's not weaned! If you don't get him weaned properly he'll try to nurse on everything.

Thanks for all the help everyone.. (JUST SOME MORE INFO) No, the reg. brangus heifer is not bred yet because she is not old enough yet. She will be bred this coming January. Again thanks all..

I would definitely keep them separated. There's a chance the calf could cause damage to the heifer's udder by sucking her. I've seen cows that end up with blind quarters due to being sucked when they were still a calf or yearling.