Calf still not up after 5 hours

Help Support CattleToday:

A-RRanch

Reaction score
Had a calf about 8 this morning and mama had it in some brush where he was kind of wedged in. Possibly expended all his energy getting unstuck but somehow got out of there moved a few feet and has been down since. Alert, moves head around even tries to stand but can't. Almost certain he hasn't nursed. Tried to give Colostrum after 4 hours but he wouldn't suck and after a minute mama tried to kill me so that aint happening till I get some help in a couple hours. How worried should I be?

A-RRanch":3b56cpnt said:
Had a calf about 8 this morning and mama had it in some brush where he was kind of wedged in. Possibly expended all his energy getting unstuck but somehow got out of there moved a few feet and has been down since. Alert, moves head around even tries to stand but can't. Almost certain he hasn't nursed. Tried to give Colostrum after 4 hours but he wouldn't suck and after a minute mama tried to kill me so that aint happening till I get some help in a couple hours. How worried should I be?

your positive he didn't suck ?? how bought after mama ran you off did he git up and suck?? I would get him on his feet and when mama came over he should suck.

If you can, give him a shot of Bose, Muse, or whatever that contains Selenium/Vitamin E, Vitamins A and D while you're at it as well.

I'd try to get both of them in a pen... yeah, it's probably not as easy as it sounds, but it would be the best place for them.

Nesikep":3qvtosvo said:
If you can, give him a shot of Bose, Muse, or whatever that contains Selenium/Vitamin E, Vitamins A and D while you're at it as well.

I'd try to get both of them in a pen... yeah, it's probably not as easy as it sounds, but it would be the best place for them.
:nod: X2

I would walk away and let her deal with it. She knows it's her responsibility as she fought with you over it and you don't know for certain that it didn't suck. If you have holes in your mineral program then the shots are not a bad idea but other than that I'd walk away and wait and see. If you pen up a cow that already knows that the calf is hers to protect you're adding tons of stress to her. With my own cows penning one by itself with a newborn calf is such a stress as to make an otherwise good momma ignore her calf. Do what you can but leave them out there and give her plenty of opportunity to step in and take him off your hands.

I would steal the calf if it's still down and take to the pen and make sure it got colostrum and was on it's feet...should suck a bottle with minimal effort on your part. Mama will follow and should be ready to take over. After a couple non intervention experiences that went south, I tend to err on the side of micromanaging. Keep us posted. :cboy:

I'd tube that sucker with colostrum, no reasons to take chances. That's being a caretaker, he's probably run down already.

Got some Colostrum in her after 6 hours...2 pints, she has some kind of paralysis in her back end that is keeping her from standing and theres no way she has nursed if she can't stand. Took her and Mama to A&M they x-rayed the calf found nothing permanent like a broken back so they are hopeful its some sort of swelling or pinched nerve from a possible difficult birth? They are milking mama and feeding calf through the weekend and giving some anti inflammatory meds. We'll see what happens I'll give it till Monday morning.

Latest posts