Calf stepped on - bloody stool?

Help Support CattleToday:

badaxemoo

Reaction score
I have a heifer calf that is one week old. Three days ago while moving the cattle I noticed that she was three-legged. I figured she must have gotten stepped on.

Yesterday I noticed she was lethargic and standing hunched up. She has been nursing, but not as vigorously as she should be - at least compared to other calves.

This morning when I went to check her and get her up, I noticed there is bright red blood in her stool. The stool is solid and looks like typical week-old calf poop.

I'm assuming the two are linked - is there anything I can do to keep her from going septic. She doesn't appear to have any tenderness or swelling in her legs or gut that I can find.

If she got her guts stepped on, and isn't dead already, you may have a chance. I would make sure she stays hydrated with electrolytes, some probiotics, and if she has a fever, some anti biotics. Usually they die with in 24 hours, so her internal injuries may not be too severe, but dehydration from not nursing enough, will take its toll. Your vet may have some ulcer type meds that will help also, if it is just slight internal bleeding.

badaxemoo

From the symptoms you have give I strongly suspect what you are dealing with is a calf that was born with or has developed into a compromised immune system situation, which is not uncommon in a week old calf. I don't think the leg issue is related, unless you didn't actually see it stepped on and are only assuming it was stepped on. Then it also could become part of a CIS issue.

My belief is, the calf may or may not have been born with a CIS, and/or his immune system has been slow in development which is causing a CIS and he is unable to deal with the daily ingestion of bacteria from his mother's teats.
And as I believe it to be a bacterial, not a viral issue, I would recommend a 3 day round of penicillin.
And keep an eye on him.
If he does not improve, or improves, then relapses, repeat medication for 3 more days.
MW

Thanks to both of you for the advice (she's a black galloway, by the way).

I didn't see her stepped on, but she was holding the one back leg off the ground - she was putting weight on it today. And you're right, it's likely the blood in her stool was unrelated.

I tubed her with a bottle of Resorb and gave her a shot of biomycin (that's what I had on hand).

She's moving around the paddock, but still looks hunched up and moves slow.

I'll keep an eye on her. Talking rain and snow here tonight.

Figures.

badaxemoo":zwxrx1cd said:
Thanks to both of you for the advice (she's a black galloway, by the way).

I didn't see her stepped on, but she was holding the one back leg off the ground - she was putting weight on it today. And you're right, it's likely the blood in her stool was unrelated.

I tubed her with a bottle of Resorb and gave her a shot of biomycin (that's what I had on hand).

She's moving around the paddock, but still looks hunched up and moves slow.

I'll keep an eye on her. Talking rain and snow here tonight.

Figures.

Oh, it is a Galloway... it is tough, it will be just fine. :D

medicinewoman":140ohyhq said:
badaxemoo

From the symptoms you have give I strongly suspect what you are dealing with is a calf that was born with or has developed into a compromised immune system situation, which is not uncommon in a week old calf. I don't think the leg issue is related, unless you didn't actually see it stepped on and are only assuming it was stepped on. Then it also could become part of a CIS issue.

My belief is, the calf may or may not have been born with a CIS, and/or his immune system has been slow in development which is causing a CIS and he is unable to deal with the daily ingestion of bacteria from his mother's teats.
And as I believe it to be a bacterial, not a viral issue, I would recommend a 3 day round of penicillin.
And keep an eye on him.
If he does not improve, or improves, then relapses, repeat medication for 3 more days.
MW

Why not try a 3 day course of leeches . :bang:

Why not try a 3 day course of leeches .
????????????????????????

Because we are not dealing with an open wound or microsurgery such as a difficult graft and/or reconstructive surgery.
How in the world did you come up with that?
MW