Calf starter or calf mana?

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
What is best to start calves on at 4 months of age? Calf mana or calf starter or 15% sweet feed mixed with cotton seed. Probably on the calves I would start with about 3-4 pounds twice a day per each and adjust up/down depending on their consumption. They will be on good grassy pastures. I just want to put on good weight for sale date at about 7-8 months old. Maybe 600-650 pounds +.

What is best to start calves on at 4 months of age? Calf mana or calf starter or 15% sweet feed mixed with cotton seed. Probably on the calves I would start with about 3-4 pounds twice a day per each and adjust up/down depending on their consumption. They will be on good grassy pastures. I just want to put on good weight for sale date at about 7-8 months old. Maybe 600-650 pounds +.
Just about anything with a little molasses in it. Once they lick a little off their nose they'll never forget it.

If you had 10 cows instead of 5, and weaned 5 of the calves at 4 months, and fed them to 7-8 months, and left the other 5 on their mommas for 7-8 months, those still nursing will grow just as well, if not better. And there would be zero difference in what they'd sell for at a barn here in GA. You'd just have a lot more in the calves that you weaned too early and fed. You'd come out better feeding the cows, if they needed it. Time your calving for early April when the bermuda takes off, and wean them end of Sept, 1st of Oct when bermuda starts going dormant. But, if you weaned at about 6 mos or at about 450-500 lbs, with no feed, I think you'd come out better. Check the reports from barns down there. See what the 400-499 steers sold for, and what the 650 lb steer sold for. Figure the cost of feeding a 4 month old weaned calf for 4 months to get him to 650 lbs. Which sale do you carry yours to?

Let the cows put weight on the calves. It's their job. Supplemental feeds are too expensive to pencil out. Why would you feed $100+ worth of feed for $100- worth in extra weight? If you aren't getting the weaning weights on grass that you want look to your genetics.

If you had 10 cows instead of 5, and weaned 5 of the calves at 4 months, and fed them to 7-8 months, and left the other 5 on their mommas for 7-8 months, those still nursing will grow just as well, if not better. And there would be zero difference in what they'd sell for at a barn here in GA. You'd just have a lot more in the calves that you weaned too early and fed. You'd come out better feeding the cows, if they needed it. Time your calving for early April when the bermuda takes off, and wean them end of Sept, 1st of Oct when bermuda starts going dormant. But, if you weaned at about 6 mos or at about 450-500 lbs, with no feed, I think you'd come out better. Check the reports from barns down there. See what the 400-499 steers sold for, and what the 650 lb steer sold for. Figure the cost of feeding a 4 month old weaned calf for 4 months to get him to 650 lbs.
I agree with that and what @Travlr said.
Doesn't mean I will argue with people choosing to creep feed.
Curious though what the math would look like. It would be tough to figure how much more weight the creep feed actually would put on a single calf compared to not creep feed. What would the added cost per pound be? And of course are you gaining it back on sale day.
It would make somewhat sense if you have the oats, or whatever you put into the feeder, from your own production, but my assumption is that it would be too high of an expense if you have to buy the feed retail.
Has anybody done the math? Care to share?

I am trying to alleviate some overstock pasture to let some grass grow. If I moved the calves at 4 months it would take some pressure off pasture. I have about eighteen acres in pasture with another 2-3 acres in woodland that attaches to pastures. I have 11 cows and a bull. I feed sweet feed and cotton seed mix at about 12-13 pounds each twice a week. I just feed my last hay 3 weeks ago. I have 4 goat rotation pastures that I am selling the goats (all Nannie's (15) and a buck and one whether along with 19 babies. I am over loaded there also but when the goat kids get 5-6 months old they go to sale barn. I have advertised the whole herd up for sale and then I can use those pastures for calves or cow calf pairs. They are full of grass as the goats don't eat it as fast as it grows. Just trying to figure away to keep my cows. At 76 years old the goats have become a full time job with hoof trimming and pen cleanings and feeding. What would you do in this situation? I have now 7 calves on seven moms. I even thought of when I sell the goat herd, I could move 3 cow calve pairs to the goat pastures. That would help a bit. Just a thought.

I am trying to alleviate some overstock pasture to let some grass grow. If I moved the calves at 4 months it would take some pressure off pasture. I have about eighteen acres in pasture with another 2-3 acres in woodland that attaches to pastures. I have 11 cows and a bull. I feed sweet feed and cotton seed mix at about 12-13 pounds each twice a week. I just feed my last hay 3 weeks ago. I have 4 goat rotation pastures that I am selling the goats (all Nannie's (15) and a buck and one whether along with 19 babies. I am over loaded there also but when the goat kids get 5-6 months old they go to sale barn. I have advertised the whole herd up for sale and then I can use those pastures for calves or cow calf pairs. They are full of grass as the goats don't eat it as fast as it grows. Just trying to figure away to keep my cows. At 76 years old the goats have become a full time job with hoof trimming and pen cleanings and feeding. What would you do in this situation? I have now 7 calves on seven moms. I even thought of when I sell the goat herd, I could move 3 cow calve pairs to the goat pastures. That would help a bit. Just a thought.
Sounds like you might need to sell some pairs instead of selling calves early. If you can't raise a calf to weaning, 7 months, then you are overstocked. Look at it as an opportunity to improve the average in your animals. Sell the ones that don't raise heavy calves, or they are so old that they are losing condition as they raise a calf.

If you had 10 cows instead of 5, and weaned 5 of the calves at 4 months, and fed them to 7-8 months, and left the other 5 on their mommas for 7-8 months, those still nursing will grow just as well, if not better. And there would be zero difference in what they'd sell for at a barn here in GA. You'd just have a lot more in the calves that you weaned too early and fed. You'd come out better feeding the cows, if they needed it. Time your calving for early April when the bermuda takes off, and wean them end of Sept, 1st of Oct when bermuda starts going dormant. But, if you weaned at about 6 mos or at about 450-500 lbs, with no feed, I think you'd come out better. Check the reports from barns down there. See what the 400-499 steers sold for, and what the 650 lb steer sold for. Figure the cost of feeding a 4 month old weaned calf for 4 months to get him to 650 lbs. Which sale do you carry yours to?
Dixie Livestock, Oak Park , Ga

So you think moving the cow and calf together would be better. I could move 3 pair of cow calves to the smaller pastures?
I have been letting the bull run with the cows. Reason was when I first put him in the smaller pastures . He jumped two fences to get to the cows. I left him there, that was 3-1/2-4 years ago. When I bought him I could have registered him but I didn't see that helping me much. He was 12 months old. He is a fine bull, full blood Black Angus.

I have been letting the bull run with the cows. Reason was when I first put him in the smaller pastures . He jumped two fences to get to the cows. I left him there, that was 3-1/2-4 years ago. When I bought him I could have registered him but I didn't see that helping me much. He was 12 months old. He is a fine bull, full blood Black Angus.
If he wouldn't try to jump the fence we could move him out maybe.

My calves hated calf manna. They were slow to eat calf starter. So I found they are sweetfeed best. I would start them with a 16 percent sweet feed and go up on the ration as they eat more. Maybe add the cottonseed mixture after a month or a couple of months

My calves hated calf manna. They were slow to eat calf starter. So I found they are sweetfeed best. I would start them with a 16 percent sweet feed and go up on the ration as they eat more. Maybe add the cottonseed mixture after a month or a couple of months
Thanks, they are eating cotton seed now with the moms. I mix 6 buckets (5gal) , each bucket holds 15-16 pounds of cotton seed. With this I mix 50 pounds of 15% cow feed . This makes a total of Apx 94 cotton seed and 60 pounds cow feed or a total of 144 pounds feed to 12 grown (cows-1bull) or about 12 pounds for each cow. They get pasture grass and minerals, salt and sulphur blocks. I feed the cotton mix about 3-3 times a week. We have had such cold nights and some cool days that the grass isn't growing fast. I know I'm overstocked with 12 grown cows and 8 calves on about 18-30 acres. I'm working on selling my goat operation which will free up about 2 more acres of heavy grass pastures. I could move a couple of cow calf pairs over to those pastures. I am trying to hold on to my cows if possible.

Latest posts