Calf shot

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
My neighbor called me and said I had a cow bellowing for a day. I had not been at the farm for a week having been in Mexico. Drove down and sure enough you could hear her a hollering. Loaded up some cubes and put her in the corral. No fever clear eyes all seemed fine. Let her out and straight to the woods she went. Rounded up all the cows and I am short one four month old heifer. Put on my snake proof boots and went a hunting for her. Finally found her laying in the edge of the woods with a large gaping hole in her left side. Still alive but bloody froth coming out of the wound. By the time I could get my flat bed trailer she died. Unknown where she was on the farm when she was shot. Calf was out of my angus bull and beef master cow. What a pi$$er.

papavillars":1gdyvuoz said:
My neighbor called me and said I had a cow bellowing for a day. I had not been at the farm for a week having been in Mexico. Drove down and sure enough you could hear her a hollering. Loaded up some cubes and put her in the corral. No fever clear eyes all seemed fine. Let her out and straight to the woods she went. Rounded up all the cows and I am short one four month old heifer. Put on my snake proof boots and went a hunting for her. Finally found her laying in the edge of the woods with a large gaping hole in her left side. Still alive but bloody froth coming out of the wound. By the time I could get my flat bed trailer she died. Unknown where she was on the farm when she was shot. Calf was out of my angus bull and beef master cow. What a pi$$er.
Dang, I hate that. Sorry PV.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I don't know why people do such things. However, I know a guy that shot an angus steer. He said he thought it was a bear. he did pay the owner for the calf. We usually don't start hearing the road hunters until closer to deer season. I've loss one young working bull to road hunters. I shouldn't call them hunters. They are just low life with a gun and a light.

fitz

fitz":10qikz79 said:
We usually don't start hearing the road hunters until closer to deer season. I've loss one young working bull to road hunters. I shouldn't call them hunters. They are just low life with a gun and a light.
fitz

Or as I frequently refer to them as the delinquents with nothing better to do. Friday afternoon, standing by the fence near the house talking with a friend, all of a sudden there's a 'pop' and a whistling zing right near my head :shock: . 2 of my cows scattered, I made a few comments about bullets whizzing by my head (quite loudly) and then a very familiar truck slowly drove its way up the dirt road along the one side of our place (trying not to be noticed he went slow 'cause that truck has muffler issues). I don't think junior realized I was around, and what the heck he was shooting at on our place (from the road) I'll never know. Spoke with his uncle about the next day.

Anyhow, papavillars i'm real sorry to hear about that heifer, that really bites. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Katherine

papavillars":j9cagxe1 said:

Somebody looking for obama care, hamburger is high, you must be rich you own cow's.
Wealth redistribution . You can bet who ever did has been watching you and your pattern's.
That was as big as they figured they could drag you need to contact the TSCRA Ranger now.
If you don't know who he is this link will guide you.
http://www.tscra.org/theft-law/find-ran ... ector.html

Caustic Burno":1ze5rmu4 said:
[That was as big as they figured they could drag you need to contact the TSCRA Ranger now.

CB, you really think somebody would shoot her to drag her back and have her butchered? I'm asking a real question and not trying to be a jacka$$. People are poor up in Central MO but they're shooting deer and turkey for food and haven't started trying to poach people's beef. That would be a whole new level of despairity to me. With the direction this country is headed I would't doubt it though.

J&D Cattle":xc0e0j3d said:
Caustic Burno":xc0e0j3d said:
[That was as big as they figured they could drag you need to contact the TSCRA Ranger now.

CB, you really think somebody would shoot her to drag her back and have her butchered? I'm asking a real question and not trying to be a jacka$$. People are poor up in Central MO but they're shooting deer and turkey for food and haven't started trying to poach people's beef. That would be a whole new level of despairity to me. With the direction this country is headed I would't doubt it though.

You dam right I do. Neighbor lost 7 before the Ranger's caught them I lost 1 all I found was a bloody spot by the road inside the fence.
They had set up a BBQ stand and were selling the meat. One of them lost their glasses Ranger got the prescription number off of them and tracked them down.

Caustic Burno":17kxr8of said:
J&D Cattle":17kxr8of said:
Caustic Burno":17kxr8of said:

You dam right I do. Neighbor lost 7 before the Ranger's caught them I lost 1 all I found was a bloody spot by the road inside the fence.
They had set up a BBQ stand and were selling the meat. One of them lost their glasses Ranger got the prescription number off of them and tracked them down.

Wow, I haven't heard of anything like that up here but I'd say the time is coming. I hate a thief!!! Dad always said we don't lie, cheat, or steal and I tell my kids the same thing now. Unbelieveable.

Sorry to hear that pap, while most hunters in our area are okay I still move my cattle off the road, up by the house before opening day and still worry about the knuckleheads driving the road during the year.

Hate to hear that. I don't think we have any hunting seasons open now except open season on hogs. May have just been some kids riding, drinking and taking shots...

Cb, thanks for the info. I sent him an email, it is after hours now. My neighbor heard shots but thought it was a gas gun used by another rancher to run off Hogs and other vermin. I opened her up and she was gut shot. I just dug a hole and covered her up. Thought maybe I could salvage some meat.

J&D Cattle":221mu8rd said:
Caustic Burno":221mu8rd said:

Somebody was killing and butchering calves here in NE Oklahoma just a month or two ago.I don't think they caught them yet.
Same thing happened 3-4 years ago.

I've been thinking about setting up motion activated game cameras in certain areas. Especially since 2 months ago theives stole the 2 batteries out of my bull dozer near a tree line I was clearing for more pasture.

We get it bad out here. Roadside pastures in the foothills lose a calf or two a year, regardless of the economy, complete with drag marks to the road(and a gut pile with some nationalities). There's a road that climbs up out of a somewhat impoverished part of the valley into cattle country and the way the road runs it goes through all the areas where cattle would congregate... we call it "butcher alley". It is not a good place to be spotted after dark unless you have a badge or a cowboy hat on.

Latest posts