Calf Shelter True Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

Bret

Reaction score
Bill of lumber and materials--$590, delivered
Metal Roof & end wraps--$135, delivered
Smashed Little Finger & Tetnus Shot, $50 co-pay at ER so far.
Ribbing in community & work, priceless. :)

The shelter looks nice. My finger looks like sausage in gause. At least now I can type three keys at once with the little finger on my left hand.

I guess I won't be AI'ing any more for a couple of weeks.

Sorry about your injuries, ouch! Would sure like to see a photo of the shelter though, if you can post it....

Gale Seddon":wyek6lyv said:
Sorry about your injuries, ouch! Would sure like to see a photo of the shelter though, if you can post it....
MVC-001F.jpg

Gale,
Sorry this took so long to photo and submit for you. I'm going to try to shoot some paint on this weekend. I will give it to the calves this weekend when I take them off the cows. "Let the singing begin."

Sindey...It was my brides idea to go to the ER. I put it off for a couple days. Imagine the razzing that I got there.

Larry...you are right. I will try to shorten up the calving season next year. Forget that...we're breeding one this weekend. She may also get wheels.

I have a question because I am considering building something similar. What is the reason for the triangular pieces in the front? Is it for support? Or does it serve a different purpose?

Thanks,

TexasShooter":2d6g4ns1 said:
I have a question because I am considering building something similar. What is the reason for the triangular pieces in the front? Is it for support? Or does it serve a different purpose?

Thanks,

The triangular pieces are gussets to add strength and to keep the shed from racking when you move it. I think the plan calls for about 14 of them....cut mostly from leftovers from the plywood. The plan also calls for 2x4 fillers sandwiched between the gussets to close them off. I still need to drill holes in the runners for hooking on the chains. I will pull the shed just inside the gate somewhere.

Good luck. I hope you can lower the cost of yours by staying out of the emergency room and omitting the x-ray which I forgot to add in. :)

Susie David":m13ac1it said:
Damn, Brett..you must have some real tall cattle ;-)
Dave Mc

Dave,
The roof line may be a little high for calves. Hope it will protect my scalp. Can you visualize a tempory tarp covering and a wood stove for deer camp? Everything at 3R has to serve many purposes. :)
Bret

Yup...that would do it....'course you could always put in the second story for the chickens...wouldn't have to bend over to collect eggs....DMc

Hey Bret, thanks for the photo!!!! I think that's a great shelter...wish I had about three or four of them...perfect for donkeys too. Hope you finger's feeling better.
Gale

Nice shelter. I have one almost exactly the same. But I had tin sheets given to us & we used it for the sides & top.
Question. Why have the board across now? or is it going to be removed for the weaned calves? We keep ours completely open (no board) BUT I have an electric fence around the whole building. That way, calves go under it to get to the shelter, cows cannot RUB the outside (you will be surprised how much time the cows will spend around it with newborns inside) plus the cows can't make a sea of mud around the whole thing. If cows can get to it, the front will get knee deep in mud, and than the calves won't want to wade thru it to get to the shelter. At least with our kind of ground that is what would happen. Even in the winter, the cows make a mess of the whole area if you don't keep them away.
The shelter works great for the calves. High roof is best for ventilation. The backside of our roof has air gaps where it connects to the back wall also.

Susie David":126zgzkt said:
Yup...that would do it....'course you could always put in the second story for the chickens...wouldn't have to bend over to collect eggs....DMc

Dave,You might on to something!

Jeanne, Good Tips. I put the front board at the suggested height just to give a little support in squaring things up. It only has a few nails in it now so I can adjust if needed. I may keep the calves out of it on all but the really coldest and wet nights. Good pointers on the cattle rubbing the outside. I will use electric poly wire when I don't want them inside.

Get's muddy here too. Enough to suck the boots right off your feet. I have learned to keep extra socks in the barn.

dbc, I'm still tinkering but I think it could be done in a few Saturdays if you got right on it. I have ben painting it and will add some bumber boards inside. Running out of 50 degee painting opportunities.

Gale, Thanks again. I don't know why one of these wouldn't work for a donkey. Mine as built by an _ss ;-)
The finger is improving. :D