calf scrotal size

Help Support CattleToday:

mermill2":2rz9nt0t said:
What is the normal scrotal size range on a 6 month old angus bull calf?

There is too many variables to even attempt to answer, some develope a little sooner than others. Milking ability of the dam, nutrition, early or late maturing types, etc, etc will all play a role.

In my humble opinion the SC at about 14 months will tell a much more complete story. Jhambley, a member of this board, had a vet take a BSE on a 12 month old bullcalf and the vet failed him because of a 29cm SC, even though the semen tested excellent. Two months later you wouldn't recognise the same bullcalf looking at his scrotum. I'll ask him if he can post a photo of his bull's scrotum.

As KNERSIE related, my vet didn't want to semen test my bull as he wanted to fail him on size alone from a chart he had in his toolbox stating:

"Under 15 months old 30 cm minimum"

I asked him to test him any way and he scored off the charts but the vet still failed him because he only measured 29 cm.
This bull was forage raised (no grain) and coming out of a hard snowy winter. That chart the vet was using used no other criteria other than age. I have to believe body condition, frame score, breed, play some role in the determination of a good measurement.

I just had him remeasured at 16 months and he measured 33 cm.

nut2.jpg

nut1.jpg

Thanks for the photos, do you still have the younger photos to show the dramatic change?

Isn;t 33 a fail for a 12 month old? I thought the minimum was like 39 as a yearling.

jhambley":2584q5sr said:
Dun,

On my vet's chart:

For bulls 15 months and younger, passing is 30 cm.

Jerry

And I was concerned when Pedro was only 39 at 11 months. Vet didn;t say anything but that he passed.

dun":2w04wnji said:
jhambley":2w04wnji said:
Dun,

On my vet's chart:

Jerry

And I was concerned when Pedro was only 39 at 11 months. Vet didn;t say anything but that he passed.

And I was told by many breeders and vets that red Angus anything over 29 was very normal.RA are supposed to be smaller scrotum circumference?I think it really depends on how much grain you have fed and if the test was done in cold or hot weather.Also the smallest circumference bull this year that I had tested was a F1xGelbvieh and his semen count was the highest my vet had seen from all that he had done this year.The boy was 13 months old and measured only 32cm.Like they say it is not the size but how you use it ;-) .

dun":2gqmhhak said:
jhambley":2gqmhhak said:
Dun,

On my vet's chart:

Jerry

39 at 11 months is almost the other extreme, I have a bull calf right now that is 39 at 11 months and he is way bigger than his peers and my herd's SC is far above breed average. but then most of my bulls are developed on pasture with no grain if the grazing is good or very little grain if the grazing is poor.

according to James Drayson, who wrote the book "Herd bull Fertility" 36-40 cm for breeding age bulls is ideal, over 40 is the extreme and should be avoided.

As long as my bulls pass a BSE and is within the acceptable limits in their classification, and they are well formed I pay little attention to actual size for age.

KNERSIE":cu1eqqm9 said:
dun":cu1eqqm9 said:
jhambley":cu1eqqm9 said:
Dun,

On my vet's chart:

Jerry

39 at 11 months is almost the other extreme, I have a bull calf right now that is 39 at 11 months and he is way bigger than his peers and my herd's SC is far above breed average. but then most of my bulls are developed on pasture with no grain if the grazing is good or very little grain if the grazing is poor.

according to James Drayson, who wrote the book "Herd bull Fertility" 36-40 cm for breeding age bulls is ideal, over 40 is the extreme and should be avoided.

As long as my bulls pass a BSE and is within the acceptable limits in their classification, and they are well formed I pay little attention to actual size for age.

He passed his BSE at 11 months, then last spring we had another and the vet was shocked at the volume of semen he produced. I just hope his daughters have the fertility that is theoretically influenced by the bulls scrotal.

dun":2pn5nht7 said:
KNERSIE":2pn5nht7 said:
dun":2pn5nht7 said:
jhambley":2pn5nht7 said:
Dun,

On my vet's chart:

Jerry

He passed his BSE at 11 months, then last spring we had another and the vet was shocked at the volume of semen he produced. I just hope his daughters have the fertility that is theoretically influenced by the bulls scrotal.

theoretically being the operative word....

KNERSIE":1pxie8tx said:
dun":1pxie8tx said:
KNERSIE":1pxie8tx said:
dun":1pxie8tx said:
jhambley":1pxie8tx said:
Dun,

On my vet's chart:

Jerry

theoretically being the operative word....

His first daughter hasn;t come into heat yet but we had a heifer calf standing yesterday that was born March third

Latest posts