Calf scours :(

Help Support CattleToday:

Any idea what's in these sustain pills? Or other scour pills? I can't find anything in my country to treat scours in pill form except something called Bi-pill (which is bascially just sodium bicarbonate) everything else is a powder form to dilute with water which is often difficult and time consuming to administer. I'd like to keep a stock of scour pills to catch any scour problems to deal with it quickly and easily. I've not had any trouble with scours for awhile but I did have a calf born a few days ago that struggled to feed from the cow due to a low udder which now has some signs of scour, an easily administered pill would be great to use.
I'd have to look at the bottle. I think oxytetracycle is one ingredient.
If @TCRanch sees this she may know better than I do..
Hauling some calves now, bull I'll check back later

I just looked above. @Jeanne - Simme Valley says something about sulfa as well

EACH BOLUS CONTAINS: Sulfamethazine (Formulated in a sustained release base), 123.8 grains (8.02 grams).

Sustain III® Calf Boluses (Sulfamethazine Sustained Release Boluses) are intended for oral administration to ruminating replacement calves (calves over one (1) month old that are not on an all-milk diet).

But, I have used them on younger calves on my cows.

Yup, what they said. Sustain is also good for pasteurella and foot rot.

@devonian, I don't know if they're available in the UK but there are Terramycin boluses intended for scours - basically oxytetracycline. But if I recall correctly, you have to administer every 12 hours as opposed to 1 and done with Sustain. Something else to consider is an activated charcoal bolus. I've used them before to just help firm things up and they do work (but they stink!). Does the calf actually need an antibiotic right now?

I'm worried my 3 month old heifer calf may be developing scours.
I'm 94% certain you're dealing with coccidiosis. Calf starter feed medicated with deccox or corid fed 1-3 weeks will take care of it.
If 1 calf has coccidiosis they all have it, to some degree. Calves with light load can overcome it with natural immunity. it's when it's
a heavy load that it overwhelms the digestive system.

p.s.
just realized this post is 7 months old - lol

Last edited:
Any idea what's in these sustain pills? Or other scour pills? I can't find anything in my country to treat scours in pill form except something called Bi-pill (which is bascially just sodium bicarbonate) everything else is a powder form to dilute with water which is often difficult and time consuming to administer. I'd like to keep a stock of scour pills to catch any scour problems to deal with it quickly and easily. I've not had any trouble with scours for awhile but I did have a calf born a few days ago that struggled to feed from the cow due to a low udder which now has some signs of scour, an easily administered pill would be great to use.
You should keep electrolytes on hand to deal with baby calf scours... I don't know what brands are available in the U.K.
I like Blu-lite-C because it can be mixed in either milk or water with good results.

Yup, what they said. Sustain is also good for pasteurella and foot rot.

@devonian, I don't know if they're available in the UK but there are Terramycin boluses intended for scours - basically oxytetracycline. But if I recall correctly, you have to administer every 12 hours as opposed to 1 and done with Sustain. Something else to consider is an activated charcoal bolus. I've used them before to just help firm things up and they do work (but they stink!). Does the calf actually need an antibiotic right now?
I don't think so its temp seems to be ok, I give all newborns probiotics now and that seems to have helped stop any scours developing but this one was late with its first feed so I'm just a lil nervous about it.

We can get terramycin in liquid and spary form but I can't see any pill available like I said the only scour treatment pill I can find is Bi-pill which seems to be 100% sodium bicarbonate I'm just wondering if its worth buying this? perhaps I will I just really want an easily to administer scour pill for emergencies.

Latest posts