Calf Scours-Need Help ASAP

Help Support CattleToday:

mmayer71

Reaction score
HI, I'm pretty new at this. Hopeing someone has some good advice for me. I just bought a one month old calf today. And noticed when we got him home that he has very watery diarrhea, it's not bloody just kinda of stinky. Not sure if he has scours or if the he's just stressed from the transportation to his new home. I did give him a bottle and he drank it fine. Not sure if I should start treating for scours or if this is normal stress related issues. All of the research I've done on the subject doesn't state the age they grow out of scours. He has been on mama for the entire month of his life, but he was a twin and mama wasn't making enough milk for both so he was kinda pushed out being a bull calf, the person we got him from was more concerned with the twin sister getting fed the most. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scours is typically a bright yellow. Much brighter than mustard.

High protein feed is going to give the lose stool (runny) appearance. If he has been feasting on rescue grass, rye, etc, he is just norm. A month old will be cutting grass enough to be this way. Stress from moving will also cause this normally. If it is not yellow, I wouldn't be that concerned, but I would keep an eye on him.

He was a twin to a heifer. The heifer is known as a free martin and has HUGE chance of being sterile. The previous owner should already be thinking about eventually putting her on a feed regiment for slaughter. I would not take a chance on her as a breeder.

There are lots of discussions in the threads on this forum dealing with scours. It is discussed in depth frequently. Mostly in the Beginners Forum.

At one month we would hope to be past the scours . If he seems ok otherwise I might think it is just the change in feed . Make sure you are using a good all milk, milk replacer . For a few days I would try to get him to suck some electolyte out of a bottle between meals .Keep water and a good calf starter in front of him all the time .

Larry

Yes, stress can definitely cause scours, as can a number of other things. Was he "scoured" when you got him? Do you know for a fact that's he a month old? If he is indeed a month old, I would bet he's gonna be ok...especially since he's been with his mother. How wonderful for you that he took to a bottle!

Personally, I would vaccinate the calf right now. And keep a close eye on him re: the scours. Also, listen closely when you feed him his bottle...listen for wheezing, or gurgling in his throat, or coughing, or pulling off his bottle, especially if it seems he's doing so to take breath.

Wouldn't hurt, just for safety's sake, to get him to drink some electrolytes daily, at least until the runny poop has come to an end. And, give him a squirt of probios daily. Can't hurt, and can only help.

Just read what Larry wrote...and I agree 100%.

Alice :)

Alice makes a good point here, although we still have to worry about scours , at this age respiratory problems are very common .

Larry

Well I don't mess around, as soon as they are scouring which is what your calf is doing ........I hit them with antibiotics and electrolytes and calf span boluses.

I would do what Larry said get some electrolytes in that calf in between feedings if it won't drink any from the bottle, tube it.

Once scours hit you are on a race against the clock to stay ahead of dehydration and whatever bug they have caught.

Good luck ...

Lactobacillis if he is still on milk........live bacteria can be found in plain yogourt...couple ounces before u feed....

Bentonite (tablespoon) topdressed on feed....or u can mix bentonite and yogourt in milk...thickens it and the scours...........

mmayer71":294k0iqh said:
And noticed when we got him home that he has very watery diarrhea, it's not bloody just kinda of stinky. Not sure if he has scours or if the he's just stressed from the transportation to his new home. I did give him a bottle and he drank it fine. Not sure if I should start treating for scours or if this is normal stress related issues.

Yes, I would treat for scours. Scours is just another name for diarrhea. There are many reasons for diarrhea - E-coli, corona virus, rotavirus, cryptosporidium, too much protein, stress, and a few others that I can't remember at this particular moment. The fact that his manure is stinky leads me to think there is something behind it beyond simple stress. The biggest threat from diarrhea is dehydration due to the fact that the calf is losing more water than he can take in. The dehydration causes an upset in the electrolyte balance, which can lead to major organ shutdown if not treated in a timely manner - the younger the calf, the more susceptible they are.

Latest posts