Calf Reaction to IM Penicillin Injection

Help Support CattleToday:

morlando27

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum and to raising cattle. My 15 year old son is working on a dairy farm and recently brought home a set of bull/heifer twins (now 4 weeks old). The bull has had a bit of a rough time with things. We got him through some sort of illness and a case of scours, followed by hair loss on his backside. He was doing well when we noticed a lump on his lower jaw a couple days ago. After consulting with the farmer my son works for and a couple of others, we were advised that it was either an infected tooth or abscess from a cut in his mouth and to give him 5 mL penicillin, two doses the first day, then one dose a day for a few more days. I picked up the penicillin last night but the label said to give 1 mL per 100 lbs body weight so 5 mL seemed way too high and we only gave 0.8 mL. I have since read that many vets recommend 10 mL per 100 lbs body weight so I guess 5 mL would be ok afterall. Anyway, immediately upon giving him the penicillin in his hindquarters, we began wheezing and coughing and lost coordination in his back legs. Within 10-15 minutes, he seemed to be ok and looked good this morning but I am reluctant to give him a second dose in case it was an allergic reaction. Should we proceed with giving him another dose of penicillin or switch to a different antibiotic? Go ahead and increase the dose to 5 mL?

You shouldn't give any vaccinations anywhere but within a triangle area on the neck. You may have hit a nerve in his hindquarters. I give injections SQ in the neck area and massage the area immediately to avoid the possibility of a lump. I'll let others comment on whether to give penicillin again. I'd just like to see you change location.

You hit a nerve when you injected him. Hindquarter injections should be given dead center in the rump. I do it all the time, especially in cows. I would like to know the exact spot you needled him. I have never heard of a reaction to Penicillin, figure it is about the safest to use on everything. Also, you didn't specify if it is Pen G or Pen LA.

Penicillin has to be given a minimum of 3 days, it has been known for over 60 years to do any
less just breeds drug resistant super bugs. Giving 1 shot (and low dose to boot) and stopping is
worse herd management than never doing anything at all.

p.s.
Not meant to single out OP, but as a reminder to all when using penicillin.

I only give injections in the triangle on the neck per beef quality assurance rules. I rarely use pen in calves. Use nuflor or baytril instead. You need to get them from a vet. Look in the calf's mouth. Feel to make sure there isn't a sticker or a piece of hay stuck in there. Look for yellow slim. If find it then it is calf diphtheria. Give a dose of banamine. 1cc orally. It should reduce inflammation. Anytime you give a baby antibiotics also give some probias gel everyday.

Thanks for the advice! We gave him subsequent injections of Pen G in the neck without issue and the swelling along his jaw is nearly gone.

Very few cconditions that I'd even consider using penicillin for, anymore...we don't keep any on hand, haven't had any here in over 5 years.
Regardless of what's on the label, from a pharmacokinetic standpoint, the appropriate dose for procaine pen G is 3ml/100 lb body twice daily for 3 -5 days or longer.
'Long-acting' pen products are awful, and would not be approved if they had to go through the process today... the benzathine pen fraction that confers the 'long-acting' activity does stay in the animal longer, but it never attains a high enough blood/tissue level to kill ANYTHING. Add to that, the procaine pen G fraction is half that in the normal PPG injection product, and you've effectively underdosed the patient if you follow label dosage.
I'd bet a Coke that most animals treated with 'penicillin' by most CT members would have fared just as well if they'd received no antibiotic injection at all

I haven't had a chance to get to Tractor Supply for probiotics but have been giving him yogurt.