calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

Haviris

Reaction score
First let me say that I know very little about cattle, so I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question!

Yesterday we had a calf born (we had to pull him) and he seems to be having trouble nursing, when he stands up he's slightly bowed up and keeps his head held really low, when he goes to nurse he goes in straight, but doesn't bend his neck to reach up for the nipples, when that doesn't work he turns his head sideways which also doesn't work. At first I figured he was just weak, so I gave him some calf fomula from a bottle (which he sucked down), hoping it would give him alittle energy, I went out again an hour ago to check on him and give him alittle more formula, he did seem alittle more energetic, after I fed him he wanted more, but I directed him to his mom and he went over and started trying to nurse (with the same results as before), that is when I started thinking the problem may be something else, so I tried to gently push his head into the currect nursing possition, but he seemed bothered and pulled away (I'm not sure if it hurt, or was uncomfortable, or he just didn't like me doing that).

So I'm not sure if it's a stiff or injured neck or what, any ideas? What should I do for him?

Its not uncommon for a pulled calf to be stiff, sore, "not all there", or jsut clumsy. keep working with him--he has to learn how to get it from his mammy on his own. you may have to force him until he gets the hang of it.

sounds like you have a "dummy" calf........a calf that just doesn't know what to do.

depending on the temperament or gentleness of your cow, you may have to tie her up or put her in the chute to get close enough to help the calf nurse. it'll probably take some wrestling on your part 'cause for some reason when you try to help those little buggers nurse, they have an instinct that causes them to push backwards & resist your help (what you took as him being "bothered").

several ways to do it if he keeps pulling away when you try to move his head up. one is to stand straight behind him & push him forward with your knees while leaning over & lifting his head/neck with your hands & directing him to the teats. the other (my preferred method) is to straddle him instead of getting behind (keeps the pants a little cleaner if they decide to potty) and lean over. sometimes you can get them to start sucking on your finger & then lift your finger up & switch them from it to the teat. other times you just have to wrestle their head up there & work the teat into their mouth.

usually once you get the calf to nurse that's all it takes. instinct will take over & he'll remember to lift his head up.

good luck and welcome to the boards.

Thank you for the reply, tomarrow I will work on getting him on his mamma's teat. I did kind of wonder if he was just slow. You have been VERY helpful.

Haviris":3alxgc0z said:
First let me say that I know very little about cattle, so I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question!

Yesterday we had a calf born (we had to pull him) and he seems to be having trouble nursing, when he stands up he's slightly bowed up and keeps his head held really low, when he goes to nurse he goes in straight, but doesn't bend his neck to reach up for the nipples, when that doesn't work he turns his head sideways which also doesn't work. At first I figured he was just weak, so I gave him some calf fomula from a bottle (which he sucked down), hoping it would give him alittle energy, I went out again an hour ago to check on him and give him alittle more formula, he did seem alittle more energetic, after I fed him he wanted more, but I directed him to his mom and he went over and started trying to nurse (with the same results as before), that is when I started thinking the problem may be something else, so I tried to gently push his head into the currect nursing possition, but he seemed bothered and pulled away (I'm not sure if it hurt, or was uncomfortable, or he just didn't like me doing that).

So I'm not sure if it's a stiff or injured neck or what, any ideas? What should I do for him?

The calf needs colostrum within the first 24 (at the most) hours of being born or his chances of thriving aren't good. Hopefully, there was some in the milk you gave him? The colostrum is the first mik a cow gives and the calf needs it quickly. You can buy it dry, mix it and give it to him in a bottle. Or could you milk the cow out and give him some of her milk? Good luck...

I know this is a bit late, but might be of some help.

When getting a calf on the teat that's kind of lost in the instinct department (we call them "dummies" same as TxAg), if you also gently rub their bottom while they've got the teat in their mouth, it will sometimes help that "suck reflex" kick in.

Warning: It will also encourage the "emptying bowels or taking a whiz reflex", so be prepared for a messy hand. Fortunately, it washes off with soap and water.

Take care.

When the cow was still down (right after we pulled the calf) we milked her out some and that is what we first fed him, I don't know if I got enough down him, but my last calf got less and she's thriving, so hopefully he'll be ok as far as that goes. His suckling reflex is really good (he sucked the bottles down in seconds), it's just getting him to take it without forcing it into his mouth, we don't have a head gate so we are going to make a small panel pen and try get the calf on his mom's teat, she's not tame enough to tie (we might could, but it would be a fight). When I fed him today I held the bottle up right where his head would be in the currect possition and made him tuck his head under my arm (like the mom's leg if he was nursing naturally), he did well and then after words I sent him to his mom and watched him try to nurse, the problem now looks like he isn't latching on to the teats, he just bumps them with his nose, I can see why they are called dummies.

When you offer him the bottle, don't put the nipple in his mouth - make him look for it. Or once you get him sucking, take it away often & make him look for it. Move around.
I wouldn't let him suck a full bottle. Just a little, to get him wanting to suck and looking for it - than push him towards the udder. Once he sucks a full bottle, he doesn't NEED to find him moms teats.
I find getting them to suck a bottle for a few seconds, than offering the teat works pretty well. I get them to suck the bottle than the finger & than switch the teat for the finger. BUT, hard to do if cow won't let you handle her bag.

It sometimes takes two people but if he'll suck the bottle, I give him the bottle under the cow. When he gets a good suck going I lead him towards the teat with the bottle then take it away. But I'll admit I haven;t had to do it in years and then only rarely and usually with a graft calf.

dun

all you can do is work with him. sometimes they are born with a little nerve damage or something else is not right. had some that would just lay flat when born & never even suck a bottle even after tubing.

Latest posts