calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

showstick09

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old calf that I have been bottle feeding. He is still on the bottle right now and on feed. My question is, how long do I keep bottle feeding him? Also, he has the scours, so what should I give him? Thanks.

you go to the feede store an get a scour med for the scours.an you treat the scours for 3 or 4 feedings.less if they firm up an get better.wean when the calf is eating 4lbs feed a day.

I cut back on his milk, and they went away a little bit. But it was a greenish, yellowy color, and it smelt really bad.

How much are you feeding? 2 months is old enough to wean... max 2 bottles/day and about 3lbs/day of grain.

He probably is just loose and should be weaned onto grain and hay. He isn't getting enough fiber basically and is just getting liquid so it makes him runny.

Why do you wean a bottle calf at 2 months, but you don't wean a pasture calf until 6 or so?? I am raising him to be a bull so I don't want him to miss out on any milk.

most bottle calves will wean themselves from the bottle.an pasture wont wean themselves from the cow.but some bottle babies out grow the bottle an wean themselves.in other words they get full enough on grain pasture an hay.

So weaning him that early won't keep him from growing to his full potential, right? That's just what I am worried about.

showstick09":2kplnypo said:
So weaning him that early won't keep him from growing to his full potential, right? That's just what I am worried about.
As ong as you keep the nutritional level up by feeding grain or other supplemtns he'll grow out fine. Just remember to increase the grain as he gets bigger

Latest posts