calf pulling charges?

Help Support CattleToday:

mobeefman

Reaction score
I was wondering how much your local vet charges to come to the farm and pull a calf, if the were no major complications.$50...$100...$200??? just curious.

mobeefman":3di2voeb said:
I was wondering how much your local vet charges to come to the farm and pull a calf, if the were no major complications.$50...$100...$200??? just curious.
I have never had the vet out to pull a calf cause if I can't pull it I doubt he can and it would mean a c-section
I would say from his other charges it would be around $65-$85 he gets a $45 farm call (unless we are scheduled) and $25 mileage

No idea what that charge would be. We pull our own calves. If it is something beyond our ability we would haul the cow in to him. That's a lot cheaper than having him come to the farm. C-section here is about $350, it's been a lot of years since we needed one of these.

I had a few people comment that the vet that I was using was extremely high on everything they did, I had them out in the fall to pull a calf and was charged $200 (only live 2 miles from town) seems high to me...I usually pull my own as well but got frustrated with one and decided it was worth the money to call them out...after I got the bill I decided it was a bad idea.

Had one pulled in December and it was 20 bucks including the farm call

mobeefman":2jhgej3w said:
I had a few people comment that the vet that I was using was extremely high on everything they did, I had them out in the fall to pull a calf and was charged $200 (only live 2 miles from town) seems high to me...I usually pull my own as well but got frustrated with one and decided it was worth the money to call them out...after I got the bill I decided it was a bad idea.

How much was that an hour? Shop rates at garages now are approaching $75 an hour and your vet has 8 years of student loans to pay back.

mobeefman":28kugtuz said:

They sent me off on a boondoggle to NC for a week. An elderly friend got in trouble with a cow and I was out of pocket. He called a vet who does mostly small animals. The calf had to be taken into the clinic after it was pulled. Why? We aint figured it out. $370 something and the calf died.

Our vet charges $35 for a trip, twice that for after hours, and $220/hr. Dun, I can't believe how your vet can afford to give services away like that. Must have low overhead. Last vet student I talked to had over $150,000 debt coming out of school.

redcowsrule33":lyfs5xlp said:
Our vet charges $35 for a trip, twice that for after hours, and $220/hr. Dun, I can't believe how your vet can afford to give services away like that. Must have low overhead. Last vet student I talked to had over $150,000 debt coming out of school.
First of all he's been a vet for 25 years or so, they do have pretty low overhead (his wife is a small animal vet). They own their house and the clinic. It;s just part of their philosphy that if they charge a little less people will take better care of their animals. Seems to work since they're both usually pretty darn busy

Dun thats not a little cheaper, its cheaper than free! I assume you have good facilities and support the clinic by purchasing your drugs and vaccines from them. He has to know if you couldn't get it, its going to be a project.

HAVE YOU THANKED YOUR VET TODAY! :tiphat:

I don't have the college education to pay for but I don't begrudge them getting paid for successfully being one of the sharpest kids on campus. A simple diagnosis that every good ranch hand that is familiar the cattle and the operation can make 9 times out of 10, gets a lot tougher when you have to drive up cold, to a place thats never called you out before.

They have to instantly assess the owner, the animal, the management level, and a dozen other variables. Then try to correct a problem that has been allowed to digress past the point of saving, generally with substandard facilities in the middle of the dark.

I often see posts here knocking the vet that they never use because he doesn't know anything,charges too much and the animal always dies anyway. Thats never really been my experience. I have to wonder how many of these "vets" are just a more "experienced" neighbor or AI tech practicing with out a license. I can't believe as hard as it is to get into vet school that they are graduating that poor of product.

"The guys who flunk out of vet school generally go on to become excellent Medical Doctors."

If you support your vet when you don't need them, they are in a much better position to help you when you have a wreck.

Dun, I am in no way pointing this toward you. It just started me on my rant for the week. :mad:
@
dun":2ti064kc said:
First of all he's been a vet for 25 years or so, they do have pretty low overhead (his wife is a small animal vet). They own their house and the clinic. It;s just part of their philosphy that if they charge a little less people will take better care of their animals. Seems to work since they're both usually pretty darn busy

Everytime the wife pulls a calf, it usually winds up costing me a dinner at some fancy, sit-down restaurant. You know, the kind that serves beer in bottles as well as pitchers!

AudieWyoming":3gsyp3sy said:
Dun thats not a little cheaper, its cheaper than free! I assume you have good facilities and support the clinic by purchasing your drugs and vaccines from them. He has to know if you couldn't get it, its going to be a project.

HAVE YOU THANKED YOUR VET TODAY! :tiphat:

I don't have the college education to pay for but I don't begrudge them getting paid for successfully being one of the sharpest kids on campus. A simple diagnosis that every good ranch hand that is familiar the cattle and the operation can make 9 times out of 10, gets a lot tougher when you have to drive up cold, to a place thats never called you out before.

They have to instantly assess the owner, the animal, the management level, and a dozen other variables. Then try to correct a problem that has been allowed to digress past the point of saving, generally with substandard facilities in the middle of the dark.

I often see posts here knocking the vet that they never use because he doesn't know anything,charges too much and the animal always dies anyway. Thats never really been my experience. I have to wonder how many of these "vets" are just a more "experienced" neighbor or AI tech practicing with out a license. I can't believe as hard as it is to get into vet school that they are graduating that poor of product.

"The guys who flunk out of vet school generally go on to become excellent Medical Doctors."

If you support your vet when you don't need them, they are in a much better position to help you when you have a wreck.

Dun, I am in no way pointing this toward you. It just started me on my rant for the week. :mad:
@
dun":3gsyp3sy said:
You bett we support our vets. Little things like a gift card for a meal for the family at a restaurant they like, lending a hand with stuff that he needs help with, etc. Last fall I went over and stacked a semi full of hay for him, when they take a vacation in the late summer we bring his up close cows over here and keep an eye on them, etc. BUT, we don;t get any price break I don;t think over others, we just try to show them how much we appreciate them. There have been times I've complained about his bill being too low and he just laughs at me.

Vets are PRECIOUS!. We don't need one very often, but when we do, we're lucky to have them available. I think the last time we called one out for a problem calving (and they have to be pretty bad for hubby not to be able to get) it was (of course) in the middle of the night - cost less than $100.

we've had the vet out several times to pull calves, I get nervous and my husband said I jump the gun by calling to early but we have had a calf stuck half way in and out and had to call and wait on the vet to get there so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I did buy my husband a calf puller for fathers day a couple yrs ago and that seemed to solve the problem (no more calves to be pulled). I hope I didn't just jinx's us. lol

I have an excellent vet. Most vets in our area now don't work on cows. They've found a better and easier source of income. I show my appreciation to my vet every chance I get. This includes paying more than he charges some times. He wouldn't take it but I write the check for more and hand it to the book keeper and walk away. Several of my fellow cattlemen have said they don't know what we'd do if he was no longer available.

I am beginning to think I like my low birth weight bull more and more all the time. Maybe I won't cuss him so hard any more.

200 is the going rate around here. Sounds high, but beats losing a cow, and the possibility of saving a calf.

hooknline":w07mdsup said:
200 is the going rate around here. Sounds high, but beats losing a cow, and the possibility of saving a calf.

And you would know :D

I try not to need my vet but when I do he gets $55 for call and then charges for what he does, It's very seldom under $100 , I will say one good thing about , he has helped me out a few times over the phone and never charged me expect for medicine which i picked up .