Calf Problems/ Sudden Illness

Help Support CattleToday:

farmchick

Reaction score
I went to the barn last night abotu 6 pm to do the feeding to find one of calves that is maybe 2 months old was bleeding and drooling from the mouth. His tongue was also swollen and he was having trouble breathing. He was able to drink his milk and we have him 6ml of La-200. We kept checking on him several times through out the evening and he seemed to be stable. I did notice that is nose was white compared to the other calves. He was checked on at about 9:30pm and was still alive and then by 10pm he as dead. If any one has experienced this before or has any clue what may have been the cause i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Don't know what your vac schedule is :?: , but I had a similar problem with a 3 month old healthy heifer. One day healthy, next day dead, found in field, laying on side, dried blood around mouth. Got worried, went to vet for autopsy and was told she had blackleg. Blood pools at lowest point at death. We usually vaccinate at 4 mos with the 8 way, but this had come from a neighbors herd and there was nothing I could do at this point. We pulled all 45 head and gave full vac package and wormer. Never has happened again.

Only way to be sure is to have autopsy done, really reasonable cost and lots of peace of mind in knowing.

What would you do to prevent the blackleg?...sorry for sounding so dumb but im new to this

bigjohn513":30g23rj8 said:
What would you do to prevent the blackleg?...sorry for sounding so dumb but im new to this

you can vaccinate them for it... my advice would be for you to talk to your vet and also try to find some cattlemen in your area that will be willing to talk to you about various vaccines and care for cattle.

good luck

jt

the quickest way to check for blacklegis to feel the shoulders. itll feel squishy an mushy there . scott

Latest posts