Calf problems, any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Got a heifer about 100# bought at a sale almost 2 weeks ago with 3 other calves. At first got concerned that all of then were a little raspy with their breathing so all were treated with Nuflor for 2 treatment doses. All went well for a little while then this heifer would not take a bottle and never observed her eating or drinking, been drenching her. Talked to our vet and he suggested giving Nuflor again and banamine which I did and she had the sulfa boluses. Still have not seen much improvement, when you drench her she starts coughing and grunting a lot. Last night she seemed to be bloated so tubed her and mineral oil. Seemed ok bloat wise this morning and tonight. Tonight her temp is 103.5.

Going to talk to the vet again in the morning but wondered if anyone else had suggestions. Thanks.

I switch antibotics if the first one does not cure it. I use Mikotil and it seems to work well. Talk to the vet about it. If you use it be very, very careful not to stick yourself.

I think I'd try dexamethasone and banamine to take the swelling out of her lungs and bring her temp down, switch antibiotics - I like Baytril, but that's JMO - make sure she's not in a dusty environment, and offer her feed and water free choice. Might help to run her with her buddies if she's not already with them. And you'll have to keep drenching her if she's not eating, unfortunately no way around that one. You might also ask your vet if s/he has any Double A solution on hand; it's become my new favorite for supportive therapy. Lovely stuff; it has amino acids, electrolytes, etc which of course would help in healing, and while it's labeled for oral use, it can also go IV or SC.

I think there's a link between lung problems and bloating, don't recall why offhand though. Probiotics would probably help her gut, esp since she's on antibiotics and probably has very little inside to aid digestion. And, she may also be dehydrated if she isn't getting anything other than what you're putting into her and that would slow healing; tent her skin and if it doesn't snap back to normal, it'd probably be beneficial to drench her a few more times tomorrow to rehydrate her.

milkmaid":3il0tkjl said:
I think I'd try dexamethasone and banamine to take the swelling out of her lungs and bring her temp down, switch antibiotics - I like Baytril, but that's JMO - make sure she's not in a dusty environment, and offer her feed and water free choice. Might help to run her with her buddies if she's not already with them. And you'll have to keep drenching her if she's not eating, unfortunately no way around that one. You might also ask your vet if s/he has any Double A solution on hand; it's become my new favorite for supportive therapy. Lovely stuff; it has amino acids, electrolytes, etc which of course would help in healing, and while it's labeled for oral use, it can also go IV or SC.

I think there's a link between lung problems and bloating, don't recall why offhand though. Probiotics would probably help her gut, esp since she's on antibiotics and probably has very little inside to aid digestion. And, she may also be dehydrated if she isn't getting anything other than what you're putting into her and that would slow healing; tent her skin and if it doesn't snap back to normal, it'd probably be beneficial to drench her a few more times tomorrow to rehydrate her.

I think she is just a little dehydrated. She had been running with the others until last night and I put her in a pen by herself just so I could see if she if eating or drinking anything. Never heard of the double a and will have to ask about it. We have been giving her yogurt to try and give her an appetite. Going to try and put more time into her this weekend and hope for the best. Thanks for your thoughts.

Latest posts