Calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

#2- plain are those southwestern exotic cattle cross cattle that the buyers can't tell the difference of an the horned are the straight bloods?
#2 is a quarter ear or more, hereford, off colors and singles. Horned is roping cattle. #1 is the absolute best of the sell and a man would be wise not to count on those prices

Saturday; Sold some light weight calves off first calf heifers that bred back immediately and Have to have a little break. A couple of scrub calves that brought in the 1.20's or so, but the ones that went in the graded pens were higher. 350-450 wt heifers brought 1.70-1.75.... that's what we were paying for steers a couple weeks ago. Steers in the 450-550 wts brought 1.80-2.20... most were in the 1.90-2.10 range. We sold only heifers and most were small but these 1st calf heifers were a mixed bunch that were supposed to get sold at 6 wts, guy quit buying and we stuck them out with a bull and so are mixed with no idea of parentage etc..... Talk is they are going to get higher.

Trying to talk son into weaning and holding the rest for another month. We have the corn silage to feed as we are trying to feed out the bag from 2021... haven't touched the 2022 crop we put in the new bunker last fall. I think that early-mid March prices are going to hit close to 2.50 for the steers here and heifers near the 2.00 range. We have had 2 quick cold spells but for the most part the winter is milder and wet and muddy, so we need to get this fed out and I would rather feed it out to these calves for another month.

I wanted to bring some prices from Glasgow Livestock, Glasgow MT over here from FB but I can't figure out how to do it. Suggestions, anyone?

Close. Silver, thanks.
I saw some specific sales.
For instance:
82 hd 435# steers $3.01
125 hd 474# $2.66
79 hd 512# steers $2.50
74 hd 674# steers $2.1025
Darn nice prices!!

I'm thinking they might be even better. We are low on cows and high on demand.
I hope you are right. I'm banking on it actually. I could insure for $2.88 for $.0793 per pound, but in my experience if you can insure for that you can bet it be close enough to that price you won't collect.

I hope you are right. I'm banking on it actually. I could insure for $2.88 for $.0793 per pound, but in my experience if you can insure for that you can bet it be close enough to that price you won't collect.
My experience so far shows that forward contracting when the most hype is happening pays the best. Not always at the top but most times near it.

Need some sprouts coming up on the prairies this year me thinks…….

Today I saw 600-650 steers bring as much as $2.25. They were all over $2.05. 450 pound steers sold for over $2.50. Yesterday I out bid the kill buyers for broken mouth bred cows. Paid right at 94 cent for them. That included one that the auctioneer sold by the pound right from the start. 1,310 pound Charolais cow preged at 7+ months for $0.94.

Latest posts