Calf prices

Help Support CattleToday:

So much different here. Rarely see a baby for sale but that one might have brought $100-$125
I ran 2 of em up to 250 each Saturday. (More than I ever hardly give)
I knew the other guy would go 300.
Least they didn't give em away I guess

It has gotten absolutely crazy around here. More folks are running a few nurse cows and it's cutting into my fun!

It has gotten absolutely crazy around here. More folks are running a few nurse cows and it's cutting into my fun!
I bet they've been watching/heard about what you do.

That's the guests here on CT. Learning from you.

@kenny thomas ... you and I had better change our avatars and not tell anyone where we are getting our "trading cattle"..... we'll have everyone here trying to outdo us !!!!!!
Seriously, calves like that will bring 150-200 here if someone wants them bad enough. Most of the black x dairy calves will bring 150.... That's what I paid for the one I put on that cow a couple weeks back that had the dead calf... straight off the dairy and I know how good they take care of their calves so it was a no brainer. That calf will not "top the sale" when it gets sold due to the dairy influence... and how much it looks dairy or looks beef... but it saved the lactation of a decent cow.... and will bring enough to at least make the cow "break even " for the year... and if prices stay up like they are looking to do... then ought to make some too....

I sold a 450 lb black heifer last week and got $1.50/lb. Barely paid it's way but I ran out of forage and hay's just too expensive. Still have 2 black steers from the same herd. Rain and snow today. Enough hay for another week while the winter ryegrass to recovers from the top getting frostbit back in December.
Here is this weeks Decatur, TX sales report.
500011/images/55b10727eaafcBbQUrTU/178530973_1450.png

Dave, They can be anything secondary and that is why they have such a wide range in prices. They are usually a cross bred small framed animal where one parent is a horned animal. Dairy cross also qualify as do some good calves that are painted up or have to much leather. You will also see some straight herefords in this bunch.

I love it when I make money on my mistakes. I hauled 4 heifers to the sale today. Two were off cows that came in late. The other 2 I bought back when buying steers. When they came in the ring old mumble mouth John the auctioneer said steers. The ring men probably corrected him but I didn't hear that because of another distraction. So I bought 2 heifers thinking I got a deal on two steers. They weighed 400 and cost $1.72. Today they weighed 457 and sold for $1.95. I fed them a while but the weight gain covered the feed cost. The price increase is my reward for making a mistake. They sold in a group along with one of the late cows calf. 2 blacks and one solid red. A touch under $900 for 457 pound heifers works for me.

I love it when I make money on my mistakes. I hauled 4 heifers to the sale today. Two were off cows that came in late. The other 2 I bought back when buying steers. When they came in the ring old mumble mouth John the auctioneer said steers. The ring men probably corrected him but I didn't hear that because of another distraction. So I bought 2 heifers thinking I got a deal on two steers. They weighed 400 and cost $1.72. Today they weighed 457 and sold for $1.95. I fed them a while but the weight gain covered the feed cost. The price increase is my reward for making a mistake. They sold in a group along with one of the late cows calf. 2 blacks and one solid red. A touch under $900 for 457 pound heifers works for me.
You just made me think of something that happened back in the fall at a machinery auction. I was working the sale and we were down to selling the junk. And I mean some of it was boxes or junk. The auctioneer was getting tired so he let a young inexperienced auctioneer take over. He was very fast and several of the people said they couldn't understand him but they just kept bidding. Junk brought way more than it was worth.

Neighbor here always looking for a deal. He bought a pallet of used air filters for various tractors for $20.
"Ya know, some a them filters just need blowing out and you can get another summer outta them". 🙄🙄

You just made me think of something that happened back in the fall at a machinery auction. I was working the sale and we were down to selling the junk. And I mean some of it was boxes or junk. The auctioneer was getting tired so he let a young inexperienced auctioneer take over. He was very fast and several of the people said they couldn't understand him but they just kept bidding. Junk brought way more than it was worth.
Old mumbling John did that a lot. Some calves come into the ring and he would say steers. He was right about half the time. He retired after the last sale of 2022. I was not sad to see him go.

Neighbor here always looking for a deal. He bought a pallet of used air filters for various tractors for $20.
"Ya know, some a them filters just need blowing out and you can get another summer outta them". 🙄🙄
A bit like buying used condoms Dave, just rinse them out.

Ken

Latest posts