calf prices go down the crapper.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
So did the calf prices plummet everywhere or just here? do you think they will rebound or are they down for the year? going to continue on down?

no i dont think the calf prices will stay in the crapper.because come fall they will need calves to go on wheat/winter pasture.an the feedlots will be needing calves as well.an look at the drought areas that sold down to nothing.its going to take them 5 to 10yrs to build their herds back up.we wont be sending no more calves to the sale to this fall/winter.

I'll let you know tomorrow when the check comes. All reports are saying "crapper"

We were debating right up until the truck left the yard whether to buy corn to finish or sell them now.

Michele

One of the local barns said a couple weeks ago that they expected prices to be down quite a bit for 2-4 weeks and then rebound slightly. Said with all the rain locally, people were having trouble getting their calves out, making it harder for buyers to put together loads. Sold a 570 lb brown bull calf, Simm X Gelb, brought .85/lb. Would have liked to see him bring more, but probably wouldn't have paid that for him myself. Oh well, cleared enough to settle the vet bill for the two on-farm, Sunday, hard pulls this calving season with enough left over for a couple bags of high-mag mineral. :)

Official crapper... but I pretty much was expecting worse than I received... also, this was a new sale barn I went to in WI

4 heifers avg 673# brought .83
5 steers avg 665 brought .87

quick avg, not nailed down to exact yet... ROG avg was 2.23#/day 7 of the 9 were 1st calf heifers, and a harder than avg winter...

Michele

Latest posts