Calf poop

Help Support CattleToday:

No more bottles for you!

Expect the adopted calf to scour a little bit. Only natural when she gets an all-u-can-eat buffet.

(I hope u smacked the snot outta her for laying on her calf too! )
Smdh

New momma is a good looking cow. Looks like you got it licked.
I have never skinned a calf. Way too much work. Placenta works great. If not, try to catch cows urine & pour on calf. I keep O No More on hand at all times. It's a powder that you sprinkle on the calf. Cows cannot resist licking it. Once a cow licks the calf, that's 90% of the battle. O No Mo is like $9/bottle. real cheap insurance.

Well bottle calf doesn't want a bottle and looks like she nursed. Waiting on a friend to get here to pick up some steers so barn is getting used for that at the moment. I will lock up momma and bottle calf to see what happens. I still have the placenta so will that work if I put it on the bottle calf?
Momma needs to smell her own scent coming from the back end of the calf, from her own milk passing through the calf. I think that's why Silver suggested introducing the hide covered calf to mom, butt/tail first.
I've heard of people rubbing the mother's nose with Vicks so that's all she smells and can't differentiate between one calf and another.

I keep O No More on hand at all times. It's a powder that you sprinkle on the calf. Cows cannot resist licking it. Once a cow licks the calf, that's 90% of the battle. O No Mo is like $9/bottle. real cheap insurance.
Yes. And no. It only works if the cow actually wants a calf. Went through 2 bottles of Orphan No More (which smells to high heaven!!!!) and tried everything under the sun with a first calf heifer one year. Eventually gave up after a week (I don't have time for that nonsense) and the heifer took a trailer ride, sold the calf to a friend that grafted onto a cow by simply giving the cow a bowl of cubes and letting the calf figure it out. Literally a few hours later, mama & her new baby were snuggled together, a perfect match.

Yes. And no. It only works if the cow actually wants a calf. Went through 2 bottles of Orphan No More (which smells to high heaven!!!!) and tried everything under the sun with a first calf heifer one year. Eventually gave up after a week (I don't have time for that nonsense) and the heifer took a trailer ride, sold the calf to a friend that grafted onto a cow by simply giving the cow a bowl of cubes and letting the calf figure it out. Literally a few hours later, mama & her new baby were snuggled together, a perfect match.
2A19AA77-4FA5-4563-A3FC-80C05F836705.jpeg
Well the cow and calf were laying together earlier. She keep talking to the calf like it's hers so I think I'm good. Hope to go feed them soon and see the calf suck or at least see a milk face from where she just had a snack.

New momma is a good looking cow. Looks like you got it licked.
I have never skinned a calf. Way too much work. Placenta works great. If not, try to catch cows urine & pour on calf. I keep O No More on hand at all times. It's a powder that you sprinkle on the calf. Cows cannot resist licking it. Once a cow licks the calf, that's 90% of the battle. O No Mo is like $9/bottle. real cheap insurance.
I guess I need to get some to just keep on hand. I keep colostrum and electrolytes on hand but non of that. I hope to buy some and never have to use it.

View attachment 23027
Well the cow and calf were laying together earlier. She keep talking to the calf like it's hers so I think I'm good. Hope to go feed them soon and see the calf suck or at least see a milk face from where she just had a snack.
Sure looks like you have a match! But agree that keeping them together for a while will create a tighter bond.

I've tried o no more
Karo syrup
Powdered sugar
Chute twice a day
Feed in trough
Penning them tight
The cows urine
The cows poop
Etc etc, but never tried vicks

But nothing beats that placenta and a mama that wants a calf!!
The skinned hide works too.

A stubborn cow will take lots of effort no matter how ya do it.

You've got "the kind!"

Congratulations my friend!

After about a week when ya think they are bonded well, give it a couple more days just because. She deserves a couple more days of the spa treatment anyway!

Last edited:
Sometimes it doesn't make any difference how much effort we put into it - it doesn't work. Sometimes it's the calf - sometimes it's the cow. And sometimes everything falls right into place without any effort.
Congratulations.
O No More isn't a surefire cure-all. But, if the cow just needs a little nudge, this works great.

View attachment 23335Looks like new momma and calf are doing great. Dropped off old momma at the sale barn this morning. Love the milk face.
Love a happy ending!
What u gonna do with all that milk replacer?
Better go watch your cow sell and buy a bottle calf.....
🙂

Love a happy ending!
What u gonna do with all that milk replacer?
Better go watch your cow sell and buy a bottle calf.....
🙂
Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I have a full bag and not much in the other. Still have 3/4 bag of the soy based also. Guess I will hold on to it for a little bit and maybe sell it. Not a bad thing to keep on hand. Always got colostrum on hand.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I have a full bag and not much in the other. Still have 3/4 bag of the soy based also. Guess I will hold on to it for a little bit and maybe sell it. Not a bad thing to keep on hand. Always got colostrum on hand.
IF you can get a baby calf bought right and get it bottle broke, it'll turn ya a small profit just by bottle breaking it and holding it 2 weeks to make sure its healthy.

Just stay away from dairy calves.

Latest posts