Calf poop

Help Support CattleToday:

Tried to give it a bottle 6 times today. Tried to milk the cow and couldn't get anything out. Got a friend coming out tomorrow and see if he can get any milk from the cow. Going to try the finger and take its temp. I get the nipple in it's mouth but it just pushed it out and won't suck. Doesn't want to even play with it. Just want the calf a little older before I take the cow to the sale.
Hopefully tmrw brings better news.

I'm still betting on she's got an upset tummy. Hope she takes a "fresh warm" bottle in the morning!

If it don't turn around sometime tomorrow I'd start getting worried. Like I said I've never done 3 bottles a day so it's new Territory for me as well. Hopefully she's just adjusting.

Just weird it's been over 24 hrs since she has taken the bottle. Going to check on her again before bed and hope she will take a bottle I'm the morning.

Sorry it's been a long day today. I made a small bottle this morning and she sucked it down like no tomorrow. Went in to make another bottle with her literally on my heals. Made the bottle and went back out and she didn't want any part of it. Gave her a few hours and went back out to try again and she drained it. Saw her poop then and here is what it looked like. D87C3BD1-0BC2-4AD4-AC19-0D143FC8826C.jpegSeen her pee also and it's clear. Just got back in from the second full bottle and she took almost all of it. My cow I'm hoping to get her to steal from calved a little after lunch to a little bull calf.749949B3-65C1-4FD5-A8DA-5B7F65B4B772.jpeg Been installing new floors in the house and my back is killing me now.

Good news is had another calf tonight. Moved new momma into the barn with the bottle calf and a few other youngsters. Bottle calf was trying to suck on the new cow. I pulled her off and gave her a bottle since the new calf hasn't stood up and sucked yet. Hope that this cow will let her steal some. I have about 6 more cows due to calf in the next week or two so I will have a few for her to steal from also. Guess we will see what the future holds.

Well just walked out to check on them and momma was laying on the calf. Looks like I have a calf and a momma to merge now. Any tips on bonding them?
Well that sucks. I would take the dead calf away from the cow, skin the calf in the morning (be sure to leave the tail on the hide), dress the calf in the hide, and make sure to introduce the calf to the cow tail first. I would probably make the introduction while the cow was in the chute with a hind foot tied back and make sure the calf gets enough milk to do a bit of good but still be looking for more before turning them into a stall together. Hobbles aren't a bad idea either because you don't want the calf to get kicked and giving up.

Yep. What @Silver said.

But if the cow is gentle and easy, pour her a trough of feed so she can eat and ya'll can work. I've just stuck a small bottle in the calfs face. Walked the calf to the udder while nursing the bottle and guide her to it. The bottle broke calf usually goes right to it!! Most of my cows will allow nursing while eating, but not all of em!

I don't own hobbles. But I did briefly. Kinda should have just kept them around instead of returning them.

Damned shame about her laying on her own calf. That's the real drizzling shots.

Hope ya get em going today!

Well bottle calf doesn't want a bottle and looks like she nursed. Waiting on a friend to get here to pick up some steers so barn is getting used for that at the moment. I will lock up momma and bottle calf to see what happens. I still have the placenta so will that work if I put it on the bottle calf?

Well bottle calf doesn't want a bottle and looks like she nursed. Waiting on a friend to get here to pick up some steers so barn is getting used for that at the moment. I will lock up momma and bottle calf to see what happens. I still have the placenta so will that work if I put it on the bottle calf?
The bottle calf nursed the new momma overnight?
I didn't realize u left them penned together.
If so that is awesome!

I've rubbed a placenta all over a calf and slung it over the calf and shoved it out with a momma in a similar situation.
That momma took straight to that calf and I never had to do anything else!!!

The bottle calf nursed the new momma overnight?
I didn't realize u left them penned together.
If so that is awesome!

I've rubbed a placenta all over a calf and slung it over the calf and shoved it out with a momma in a similar situation.
That momma took straight to that calf and I never had to do anything else!!!
Steers should be gone in about an hour so I can get them penned up and watch them some. Guess the twins even out my calf count so not as big of a loss in the end. If new momma takes to the calf the no milk cow is going to the sale barn Monday.

Steers should be gone in about an hour so I can get them penned up and watch them some. Guess the twins even out my calf count so not as big of a loss in the end. If new momma takes to the calf the no milk cow is going to the sale barn Monday.
That's what I'd do too.
No sense in feeding her thru winter.

Where's the pics of the twins?
😆

View attachment 23017View attachment 23019Well the placenta on the calf worked except she is confused on who her momma is not. Separated the other cow off so we will see how they do. I will get a pic of the twins after I get a bite to eat.
Yep! Very nice!!
That calf is a fast learner. Mama is awesome! Good for her! I take it mama been licking her like it's her own?

That calf will most likely nurse anything that will stand still. One reason I pen em up for a couple weeks. The mama AND the calf gets to know who belongs to who.

Like was said a while ago. U may have a problem with that calf even after she is weaned sucking any cow that'll allow it. Sometimes that isn't something u can break them from unfortunately. When you wean her, it'd best to have no other females of any sort in her weaning pasture.

Yep! Very nice!!
That calf is a fast learner. Mama is awesome! Good for her! I take it mama been licking her like it's her own?

That calf will most likely nurse anything that will stand still. One reason I pen em up for a couple weeks. The mama AND the calf gets to know who belongs to who.

Like was said a while ago. U may have a problem with that calf even after she is weaned sucking any cow that'll allow it. Sometimes that isn't something u can break them from unfortunately. When you wean her, it'd best to have no other females of any sort in her weaning pasture.
Momma sniffed and licked it then the calf freaked out so it ran and momma chased which made it funny. Got them calmed down and momma let her nurse for a little bit. Calf is a little confused so I guess we will see.

If cow is allowing calf to nurse some, the calf will get it in a day or so... wouldn't you prefer the milk bar be available anytime you got a rumble in your tummy???? If calf bonds well with cow, it may never go to another cow after being let out. As @MurraysMutts said, keep them together, separate from other cows for several days to a week or more and the calf will be more likely to stick with just that cow... But, some of them do... it's a wait and see...
Just hope she takes it and is content with the calf... she will mother it and that'll be "her baby"....

Latest posts