calf pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

hillside

Reaction score
HAVE HOLSTEIN CALF 70 DAYS OLD SHOWING SIGNS OF PNEUMONIA. HAVE TREATED W/ MICOTIL,BANTAMIN,NUFLOR W/ BANTAMIN,BIO MYCIN.NOTHING HAS HELPED. STARTED GIVING MICOTIL EVERY OTHER DAY THEN ON OTHER DAY GIVEN NUFLOR . I GIVE BANTAMIN EVERY DAY. HE'S THIN SO IM GIVING B12. NOT SURE WHAT ELSE TO DO. LOOKING 4 SUGGESTION. HILLSIDE

my best suggestion would be trash the micotil. you already burnt the poor little guy out.

You may have overmedicated this calf.

Here's some info from Nuflor site:

http://www.nuflor.com/disclosure/index.html

'TOXICOLOGY: A 10X safety study was conducted in feeder calves. Two intramuscular injections of 200 mg/kg were administered at a 48-hour interval. The calves were monitored for 14 days after the second dose. Marked anorexia, decreased water consumption, decreased body weight, and increased serum enzymes were observed following dose administration. These effects resolved by the end of the study.'

Here's an excellent PDF document of 'Florfenciol'. Please read the page regarding 'Overdose' (you may have to use the magnifying tool at top of the PDF article in order to read the print...it's quite small in the format posted).

http://www.usp.org/pdf/EN/veterinary/fl ... orfenicol'

Take care.

Stop Banamine after 4-5 days max. Overuse can cause ulcers. Also give Probios paste to restore rumen bugs. If over 10 days have passed since treatment started, give Probios and let nature take it's course. IMO-any further treatment will not help, just spending more money. Unfortunately, we can't save them all.

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

I have had what sounds like this same bug. They get it, get better, get worse, and sadly about 2 out of 5 of mine have not made it. After awhile, no drug works, the ones that have made it, I have given Enterolyte High energy(HE), and milkreplacer, and stopped the drugs, and isolated from the others. The bad part with pneumonia, is it damages their lungs, and with some calves, weakens them so bad, that they can't recover no matter what, and then are more susceptible to other diseases.

I know Nuflor is not meant for repeated doses, 1 time 3cc's, and then another within 24 hrs, another 3 cc's, or 6cc's all at once, with maybe another 6cc's in a weeks time, but no more than that. For me, I find Excenel works the best for alot of things in baby calves, and if they get too weak, having a vet treat them is also a good idea.

Hope this helps

Gail

Thanks 4 all input. Cattle Annie I was thinking the same thing, probably overdosing, was just trying. Has no fever. Has a wet cough and breathing fast. Doesn't seem dehydrated. Giving OptiCalf (natural bacteria) twice a day. Cattle Annie do you think we should just stop all medicines? Thanks, Hillside

Probably what happend is that the calf had a problem that you treated for-- probably too late-- and the calf has lung damage.
All the treatment in the world ain't gonna fix that.
Dex might help and antihistimine might help

Pet peeve of mine--- No fever-- NO antibiotics
There is only one very unussal phneumonia that doesn't come with a fever and its OBVIOUS the calf is in severe lung trouble right from the get go.
Treat antibiotics with more respect-- there are very real and political implications for misuse that my opperation can't afford to have triggered..

Geez, Hillside, I don't know what the best advice would be with a calf like that besides calling the vet.

Nothing like good professional advice, as the vets deal with these problems on a regular basis, whereas for most of us producers it's something we may only see during certain seasons of the year.

Take care and good luck with the calf.

My vet prescribes Draxxin for pneumonia. A single 1.5ml shot is good for 8 days in an 80lb calf, and generally, one shot is all it takes.

Howdyjabo said:
Pet peeve of mine--- No fever-- NO antibiotics
so generally if the calf doesn't have a fever you don't treat? Even if they have bad cough or rapid breathing? Does respiratory problems always cause a fever?

I don't do baby calves-- but I only once or twice a year on weaned calves give antibiotics for repiratory issues with no fever.
But I do the same with kids(goat) and lambs.

Think about just yourself--- do you go running for antibiotics when you get sick as the first line of defense.nope you use supportive therapy.
And when Doc gives you antibiotics its because you have a fever for more than three days-- (I assume on calves I missed those three days) -- and Doc won't switch meds unless you keep the fever for another three days or it comes back after going down .
And if you still look like crap after treatment but don't have a fever Doc will give supportive therapy but no more antibiotics.

Even just going on the fever theory-we're probably over treating hitting them at the first sign of fever.

oh just in case-- an animal close to death- its temperature will drop--- but its usually too late for antibiotics then-- at most you'll create a worthless realizer.
And if you give banamine- you need to give a long acting drug- so the banamine is out of the system to give you a true reading at the next treatment.

Didn't figure anyone would remember my last attempt.
I still say that Herefords **** around here :)

Howdyjabo":2q5eqvmf said:
Didn't figure anyone would remember my last attempt.
I still say that Herefords **** around here :)
LOL Some of us remember. As long as you qualify it as your experiences with the breeders/producers that you have dealt with and don't try to chalk it up to an entire breed, all it should do is lead to a lively debate. ;-)

Before i start another war-- I am reffering to our climate or conditions__ right Here___ are not condusive to Herefords coming into ours or our neighbors opperations. Higher % get sick and higher % die.
And I know for a fact that the mountain guys love getting them in- best performers for them.
So I am not carte blanche condemming herefords I just hate seeing them show up here.

True---I don't take being taken lightly well--I fought long and hard to earn my respect in this business- harder than most-- being a female- and coming into it with just two nickles to rub together.

So sorry no guarantees :(
Only thing I like better than talking cattle is dogs-- but I'd rather leave again than put up with any junk.

Latest posts