Calf Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
This HPF Optimizer calf is six weeks old. Born 30 days early at 55 pounds which is under my 84 pound birth-weight average. Might have been a beast if he had gone full term. Dam is a PB and only a white patch on her forehead. He stands out in my group of calves - he looks like a midget - not meaning to sound discriminatory. He also has a different personality. I enjoy seeing him everyday. Cute little guy.

2i134ev.jpg

33aqeyr.jpg

33kf0k9.jpg

Bright Raven":9rwwbgss said:
This HPF Optimizer calf is six weeks old. Born 30 days early at 55 pounds which is under my 84 pound birth-weight average. Might have been a beast if he had gone full term. Dam is a PB and only a white patch on her forehead. He stands out in my group of calves - he looks like a midget - not meaning to sound discriminatory. He also has a different personality. I enjoy seeing him everyday. Cute little guy.

2i134ev.jpg

33aqeyr.jpg

33kf0k9.jpg

I am new to some of the terms.

What is an HPF Optimizer calf?

What is a PB?

That calf looks good to me. I am sure he will grow like a weed in the coming months.

Bullitt":1avf6hks said:
Bright Raven":1avf6hks said:

2i134ev.jpg

33aqeyr.jpg

33kf0k9.jpg

I am new to some of the terms.

What is an HPF Optimizer calf?

What is a PB?

That calf looks good to me. I am sure he will grow like a weed in the coming months.

He is sired through artificial insemination using the semen of the Hudson Pine Farms bull Optimizer. The semen is marketed by Select Sites. PB is the abbreviation for purebred. The Sire is not PB but his dam is.

Thanks for the comments. He has a different look. Not sure how he will grow out but I expect he will do well. He has a great pedigree.

What breed is the dam? I was thinking Hereford?

What breeds are in Optimizer?

He is a cute guy. But I know cute doesn't pay the bills.

He will grow Ron, My 18kg heifer born 4wks early in June was 220kg 10 days ago up there with my heaviest heifers.

He is a stocky little fellow, I bet he makes a powerfull bull.

Ken

Looks like a nice blocky calf. Look forward to seeing how he develops

Bullitt":6bdkqw9u said:
What breed is the dam? I was thinking Hereford?

What breeds are in Optimizer?

He is a cute guy. But I know cute doesn't pay the bills.

The Dam is a PB Simmental. The breeder is Roy Canada, Morehead, KY. Optimizer is 3/4 simmental.

Ron, he sure is a stocky bugger. Heavy boned & hairy!!! Great "steer".
Because of the pictures I have seen of HPF Optimizer, I guess I'll stay away from using him because of all the white. Makes a great steer, and possibly a clubby-type show heifer. But, limits your (mine) marketing clientele.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":8xryph0i said:
Because of the pictures I have seen of HPF Optimizer, I guess I'll stay away from using him because of all the white. Makes a great steer, and possibly a clubby-type show heifer. But, limits your (mine) marketing clientele.

I agree. He has the cutest nature. Cannot really express it. But he sure draws you in.

He totally makes me smile! He's a chunk, hairy and an ornery little feed-encrusted face. And don't worry about weighing only 55 lbs at birth - my Midget has grown to be one of my largest cows (with the docility of a runt).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ciiqq2i said:
Had one last spring, Angus cow with big white spot on her bag. Not a speck of white on the heifer. Nice calf. 1 of the 2 we sold for show calf. Got a brockle faced cow due in spring to him. She has never thrown white face yet.

That is a problem with fall born steers. But, we turn it around to be a good thing for us. We don't have any extra "lot/space" to feed out a steer during the winter, so we are unable to raise any spring born finished steers. With the fall born, we wean early spring & can separate them and feed out all summer. Getting ready to "harvest" 2 steers in next two weeks.

TCRanch":2nvtas2v said:
He totally makes me smile! He's a chunk, hairy and an ornery little feed-encrusted face. And don't worry about weighing only 55 lbs at birth - my Midget has grown to be one of my largest cows (with the docility of a runt).

That is a good way to express it. He does the same thing to me. I enjoy him in the group.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":203k0wi1 said:

I have a pretty dang sweet heifer due to him in Jan with a white dot, I'm praying the calf doesn't come out with much more white than that. I also would feel limited in marketing the calf. It's a dang shame though, cause I've seen some good ones from him.

here are some shots of my few cows and calves this year....they saw me in the yard and decided to come hang out for a while on Saturday....
tried posting them here

they just won't have the commentary of what they are

Latest posts