Calf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Sharing a few. I always enjoy the pics you all post, hope you enjoy these from feeding today. The last pic is all half longhorn calves from some of the heifers.
pics_023.jpg

pics_026.jpg

pics_027.jpg

pics_028.jpg

These are the half-longhorns...
pics_033.jpg

Looking good. Are they hereford sired out of baldie cows? Why not rather go with low BW angus to open the heifers instead of the longhorn?

Yes hereford sired, baldy cows. Longhorn has a sleeker shape, easier calving. The longhorn calves turn out well anyway, they gain right along with the other calves, and sell just as well here (so far). So why NOT use a longhorn? I have used LBW angus in the past, and had a lot of trouble, so I stick with what works.
My problem with angus is not with the breed, but with the producers in my area. Last "Low birthweight" bull I had threw 90+ pound calves. Can't seem to trust the locals EPDs. Everyone here thinks they are expert angus breeders with the best genetics. The advertisements always say "fancy" black angus bulls or cows for sale. "Fancy" means another 2 grand for the purchase price, with no extra money in my pocket come fall.

grubbie":3bc4yrdv said:
Yes hereford sired, baldy cows. Longhorn has a sleeker shape, easier calving. The longhorn calves turn out well anyway, they gain right along with the other calves, and sell just as well here (so far). So why NOT use a longhorn? I have used LBW angus in the past, and had a lot of trouble, so I stick with what works.
My problem with angus is not with the breed, but with the producers in my area. Last "Low birthweight" bull I had threw 90+ pound calves. Can't seem to trust the locals EPDs. Everyone here thinks they are expert angus breeders with the best genetics. The advertisements always say "fancy" black angus bulls or cows for sale. "Fancy" means another 2 grand for the purchase price, with no extra money in my pocket come fall.

In that case I agree it makes sense. Its sad to hear about the angus breeders though, hope they don't continue to make the same mistakes the hereford breeders made.

Do you take pelvic measurements of your replacements?

I would be proud to have those calves in my pasture. By the picture and from what I could see I would have not thought longhorn as the sire. If it works for you that's what matters. Once again great looking calves.

good calves, can't tell the longhorn from the others that small. famous last words "easy calving" while on the end of the chains pulling. i saw a sale that said heifer bull and the actual birthweight of the bull was 94 pounds, bw epd 2.8.

KNERSIE":3r27x0hj said:
grubbie":3r27x0hj said:

I tried, but I can't seem to read the tape measure once I get it in there.

grubbie":bboq4tel said:
KNERSIE":bboq4tel said:
grubbie":bboq4tel said:

I tried, but I can't seem to read the tape measure once I get it in there.

Then obviously nobody told you to switch your headlamp on first before sticking your head in to look! :shock:

This is the longhorn sire, shortly after we made him a "not so long" horn.
pics_006.jpg

FarmGirl10":17vyzkb7 said:
When did you trim his horns?
last season after we pulled the bulls out. We put them in a pretty small area from March to June, he was gettin a little hooky with the other bulls, didnt want them getting tore up.

FarmGirl10":12k8wii8 said:
last season after we pulled the bulls out. We put them in a pretty small area from March to June, he was gettin a little hooky with the other bulls, didnt want them getting tore up.

grubbie":229nj6mm said:
FarmGirl10":229nj6mm said:
And here I thought you did it too keep from confusing people, like me. :oops:

Latest posts