Calf panting in winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sofasel

Reaction score
So I brought home a dairy replacement heifer on Saturday. It is Monday as I post this. She's about 2 weeks old. I'm unsure of her shots from the breeder I got her from either.

She had diarrhea before we brought her home and we are working on stopping that with Re-Sord and probiotics meant for cattle. She seems to be panting with her tongue out. Not super heavy panting but mouth breathing with tongue out a bit. It's around 45°F and windy at the moment. She's in a barn with a heat lamp and a blanket and straw bedding. Her eyes are clear. Her nose has white/very very pale green snot running out too. Sounds stuffed in the throat/nose and not in the chest. This animal is a 4-H animal too.

She finishes her bottle of milk and likes to chase me around the pen when I go from one area to another so she still has energy.

Any suggestions on what may be wrong?

Sorry for shattered info!

Pnuemonia and it seems to be very prevalent in this area this year on the dairies. The fact that she has energy is good but she needs to be on anti-biotics of some sort. Call your vet, tell him what you posted and ask if he has a suggestion for what antibiotic would do best. I would try penicillin or duramycin..... or mycotil or baytrill. Draxxin would be the "big guns". Once she gets cleared up then look into vaccination.
Another thing, 45* with a blanket and heat lamp is probably too much. Cut off the heat lamp. Cows/calves most comfortable temps are 45-60 degrees. I suspect she is too hot with both. The blanket will prevent her from getting a chill, protect her from the wind, and enable her to keep her body temp regulated. Too warm is like you in a hot stuffy house.

Yes, get rid of the heat lamp. 35-55 degrees is good. Clean dry bedding and out of the wind is what matters.
Always take temperature before treating and 24-48 hours after to see how she's doing.
Forget mycotil (too dangerous especially for rookies) I've always had better luck with NuFlor than Baytril.
Zactran is good too.

Thanks @Son of Butch; I'd forgotten about Nuflor; and that Mycotil could be a problem. Have never used Zactran. But we go years without using anything, then all of a sudden something hits. I was just thinking off the top of my head of something to use without going to Draxxin which is great but I prefer to keep it for REALLY serious stuff. I really think some of it is she is too hot. And that can cause her immune system to get out of whack. Bad enough our weather has been worse than a roller coaster....

Son of Butch":2y1ydfji said:
Yes, get rid of the heat lamp. 35-55 degrees is good. Clean dry bedding and out of the wind is what matters.
Always take temperature before treating and 24-48 hours after to see how she's doing.
Forget mycotil
(too dangerous especially for rookies) I've always had better luck with NuFlor than Baytril.
Zactran is good too.
Bears repeating! I've had good luck with Resflor Gold & it already has Banamine in it but never tried Zactran.

Latest posts