calf only drinks from one teat

Help Support CattleToday:

dbrews1954

Reaction score
so I have a calf 5 days old seems to be doing fine, but she only nurses from the same teat, I even put a camera in there to take pics through the night and she always latchs on to the same teat, the other 3 teats are full and leaking, I was able to bring the calf over to the other side, squirt a little milk in its mouth and when I let the calf go she runs over to the other side and latches on to the same old teat, do I have anything to worry about with the calf not getting enough milk, or the momma.s utter, thanks

We have had them do that too but usually with bigger teats and as the calf gets stronger and hungrier it is able to tap all four.

We have this situation going on with two cows right now. Both calves born in wet cold conditions. At 3 days old, both still havent caught on. One still thriving, one now in our greenhouse incubator. Husband went out to put out protein blocks and found vultures fighting the cow to get her comatose calf. I just checked on him and he's beginning to recover, we hope we got him in time. So just keep an eye on them if the weather is bad.

Concerning the udder health when a calf does not get to all teats, the colostrum in the other teats helps the udder to stay ok until the calf gets around to suckle them all.