calf nurses 1 side only

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

heifer gave birth monday, calf is healthy. the problem - calf will nurse only 1 side, doesn't even try to nurse from the other side (teats are huge/swollen) we haven't tried restraining the cow as of yet. any advice or info would be greatly appreciated

[email protected]

> heifer gave birth monday, calf is
> healthy. the problem - calf will
> nurse only 1 side, doesn't even
> try to nurse from the other side
> (teats are huge/swollen) we
> haven't tried restraining the cow
> as of yet. any advice or info
> would be greatly appreciated

Give it a few days. They usually will work all the way around in about a week.

[email protected]

> Give it a few days. They usually
> will work all the way around in
> about a week. Hello, I had the same problem this year> If the tits are red and swollen tie the cow up and milk them out, right away. She is sore by now, if the calf wants to suck them she won't let it, because they are sore. Then watch the calf when it sucks,push calf to the side it isn't nursing on, when she starts sucking,it may take a few days. But it will get the idea it can suck on either side. It will work, I just had to do this. But be sure to milk the cow 1st, the milk in her is old. Good luck

[email protected]

> heifer gave birth monday, calf is
> healthy. the problem - calf will
> nurse only 1 side, doesn't even
> try to nurse from the other side
> (teats are huge/swollen) we
> haven't tried restraining the cow
> as of yet. any advice or info
> would be greatly appreciated I hope by now your calf is nursing on both sides. If a cow is real good milker the new born calf will get full before he nurses all teats. Usually in couple days they develope larger appetite and will take care of it. If you can get her in and either force calf to suck on other side or strip these teats out may save you any problems later on.

[email protected]

Latest posts