CALF NOT TAKING BOTTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

jd35154

Reaction score
I HAD A COW HAVE TWINS 4 DAYS AGO. SHE WOULD NOT TAKE ONE OF THEM NO MATTER WHAT I TRIED. I CANNOT GET THE ORPHANED CALF TO TAKE A BOTTLE. I HAVE COATED THE NIPPLE WITH SYRUP AND SUGAR BUT NO SUCCESS. ARE THEY'RE ANY TRICKS YOU GUYS HAVE UP YOUR SLEEVES? THE LITTLE FELLOW IS STRONG AND HUNGRY BUT WILL NOT NURSE OFF THE BOTTLE.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Keep trying and they usually come around. Some don't. I would say keep it hydrated and don't give up. Good luck.

Now the unPC answer. Sell the animal. Around here they go from 50 to 200 dollars.

Scotty

Try using a lamb nipple instead of the big calf one.

I've found that especially with small calves that sometimes those big calf nipples can deter them.

Keep trying.

Does the calf have a suck reflex when you gently wiggle your finger in her mouth?

Is she otherwise vigorous?

Are you trying her with the bottle when she's standing?

Also, if you've had to tube feed her, give her a good four or five hours to become hungry before you try bottling her. You'll know she's getting hungry because if nothing else her muzzle will start to become wet with saliva...also usually hungry calves become restless and start moving around more than full ones.

And yeah, it's gross, but rubbing them around their rectum will stimulate the suck reflex (it will also stimulate other messy bodily functions, so be prepared). ;-)

Take care and good luck with your calf.

jd35154":3gxm59j9 said:
I HAD A COW HAVE TWINS 4 DAYS AGO. SHE WOULD NOT TAKE ONE OF THEM NO MATTER WHAT I TRIED. I CANNOT GET THE ORPHANED CALF TO TAKE A BOTTLE. I HAVE COATED THE NIPPLE WITH SYRUP AND SUGAR BUT NO SUCCESS. ARE THEY'RE ANY TRICKS YOU GUYS HAVE UP YOUR SLEEVES? THE LITTLE FELLOW IS STRONG AND HUNGRY BUT WILL NOT NURSE OFF THE BOTTLE.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Here are a few tips;

1. Use a smaller softer nipple. I like the soft brown ones that fit on a pop bottle.

2. Stand(or kneel if it is laying down) over the calf's shoulders facing forward. This will simulate the calf having it's head under the cow. As well you can control it a bit better. The calf will be more likely to suck if it is standing though.

3. Tube it for 2-4 days (which you have already done) and then leave it overnight without feeding it. It should be hungry enough in the morning!! We use this trick when we have a calf that won't suck the cow. They almost always figure it out. But they have to be strong enough to go all night without a feed first.

4. Wiggle the nipple around in it's mouth. Sometimes almost pulling the nipple out of the calf's mouth will trigger something in the calf's mind.

We enlarge the hole in the calf nipple big enough so milk will flow out freely. Try not to get it too big though. Just enough so milk will run out. Put the nipple in the calf's mouth and hold your hands around his mouth so he can't get off the nipple. He will eventually swallow. You can also help simulate sucking reflexes by pushing up under his bottom jaw. Push up and release, push up and release, etc. Won't take too long for that calf to want that bottle.

Latest posts