Calf milk replacer help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Wren

Reaction score
My angus cross heifer dropped her calf this morning. The promptly lead it out into the mud where it got stuck and chilled. I wasn't expecting her to calve for at least another month. I didn't have the exact breeding date as I bought her at the auction. So I was at work while all this happened and she didn't bag up until she dropped the darn thing so I didn't get a chance to move her to a dry pasture. We got the calf pulled out of the mud and warmed up. We also got about 5 1/2 pints of the cow's colostrum into him. The problem is the feed store that I buy the milk replacer from about 1 1/2 hours away and I won't have time to run their before work tomarrow. I have some lamb milk replacer in the basement for my lambs. Here is the analysis:
Crude protein, not less than 24.0%
Crude fat, not less than 35.0%
Crude fiber, not more than 0.15%
Vitamin A, not less than 20,000 I.U./lb
Vitamin D3, not less than 5,000 I.U./lb
Vitamin E, not less than 100 I.U./lb
I can milk the cow but she will only let so much down. Can I add this to the milk tomarrow to help him along until he gets his feet under him? If not what else can I use?

Thanks.

Emergency use:

For every litre of real milk / quart of milk - add the following:

Two table spoons of corn syrup, maple syrup or something like that - brown sugar if necessary.

One egg.

Some porridge or pablum - about enough to cover a small rock in the palm of your hand.

Grind up a one a day vitamin. I use whatever the kids have on hand. Use only one of these per day - morning feed for this house.

Shake the heck out of it - blender - warm it - shake it again - in the bottle - let 'er suck!

Got some left over - drink it yourself - it is good. :lol:

Milk what you can from the cow and add when able.

There ya' go.

Use the lamb stuff if you have to - I figure it would work in a pinch - might be a little rich - cut it down a bit.

Bez

Thanks alot. I can do that. :D The heifer does great when she is in the chute and being milked. She just doesn't like ot let it down and I'm not the best milker in the world. My hope is that the calf will be up and nursing in the morning. But we shall see..

Look - worst case scenario - give it whole milk. Not the best, but it will tide you over untill you get it sorted out.

Last resort - get a siphon and put it in the cows' tit. She cannot stop the milk flow. NOT recommended unless really necessary - be very, very clean - this can cause mastitis.

If you have none - get the disposables next time you are in town - always have a few on hand. Farm supply will know what I am talking about. Last resort only.

Have fun!

Bez

Bez

What is this?

Some porridge or pablum - about enough to cover a small rock in the palm of your hand

I have heard of porridge in "the three little bears" story but I have no clue as to what it actually is?

Thanks!

i used to run some sheep along with cattle & i have used milk replacer for lambs for calves. some farm stores here sell replacer that can be used for both

Ryder -
Nope I don't have that luxury out near the barn. It's hard enough keeping the bottle warm between the house and the barn.

Everyone -
The calf made it through the night. But he's still not up and about like he should be. Any suggestions for getting him a bit more energy?

"It's hard enough keeping the bottle warm between the house and the barn. "

Put the bottle in a bucket of hot water.. it'll stay warm longer.. the lamb milk replacer will work fine. Are you bottle feeding twice a day.. you could give a electrolites bottle mid-day.

Wren":1bnwftc9 said:
Thanks alot. I can do that. :D The heifer does great when she is in the chute and being milked. She just doesn't like ot let it down and I'm not the best milker in the world. My hope is that the calf will be up and nursing in the morning. But we shall see..

I can't milk a cow either. Here I thought I was the only one. I usually get one of the neighbor kids to come over and do that if need be. I have spent alot of time by the udder with only a few tablespoons as a result. I think it's because I am too gentle. Can't bring myself to give them the good squeeze and yank they need. The neighbor boy says you have to put your head against the cow. Maybe there is something to that?

I give a shot of oxytocin to help with letting down milk, and a little alfalfa for a few day. Dee, can't milk, what are you doing on afarm?

dee, just squeeze index finger first followed by others if teat is big enough, if too small just slide two fingers down about an inch for each squirt

Wren,Good luck with your new calf!

Dee, everyone needs to learn to milk sometime,so don't feel bad.

But don't 'yank' on anything, its as hard on the cow as it is on your arms! Gently picnh off at the top of the teet, and squeeze your fingers as if starting from the top down, thats the gentlest method, if that does not work, you can strip them down, but I dont like that method at all. that is to squeeze the teet at the top and slide your fingers/hand downward forcing the milk out.

Somewhere there you should find a method that works great for both of you. :cboy:

The calf is doing great, still a little slow. Other than that he is so cute. I'll have to get pictures up. he is up and nursing on his own now. :D The heifer is an awsome mom and very protective. We just kept on milking the heifer and bottling the calf. Calving season is done for me now. The heifer was the only one. Now if lambing season would be over and if I didn't have to pull anymore that would be awesome.

Wren