Calf lost a hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
The calf that was born right before Christmas the night it was so cold has been limping for a few weeks. It always lays under the hay manger so I assumed it probably got stepped on, it still got around okay just held it's right back leg up like it was hurt. Today I see it's getting around worse and has blood around hoof area on that foot, get to looking and the whole hoof portion of that foot is gone. Could it have gotten frost bite when born that caused this? Any suggestions of how to make it more comfortable or should I just put it out of its misery? If it can make it to weaning I'll grind it up, but I'm starting to doubt it can.

The only one I seen lost one side of its hoof . Mine grew back like a finger nail. A lot quicker than I would have thought. Not sure if it might be frost bite.It would help if you had a dry lot or barn to put it in for a little while to keep it cleaner and dry.
Good luck

Lengthy thread but lots of good info.

The calf that was born right before Christmas the night it was so cold has been limping for a few weeks. It always lays under the hay manger so I assumed it probably got stepped on, it still got around okay just held it's right back leg up like it was hurt. Today I see it's getting around worse and has blood around hoof area on that foot, get to looking and the whole hoof portion of that foot is gone. Could it have gotten frost bite when born that caused this? Any suggestions of how to make it more comfortable or should I just put it out of its misery? If it can make it to weaning I'll grind it up, but I'm starting to doubt it can.
I see this as another text book case for not calving in the winter.

Has happened here a couple times, as long as infection doesn't set in it will grow a protective pad that won't likely be a hoof. They will grow but as they get heavier it creates more pressure on the foot. We are butchering a yearling heifer this coming week that is just such an animal.

My friend had a cow that was seriously frostbitten as a calf, and she had bad feet, needed regular hoof trimming but she was a productive cow that made good calves.
I'd try and keep the calf as dry as possible, I used to have some 25% tetracycline powder that worked really good as a poultice when bandaged up and that would prevent infection from setting in

As others have said, if you can keep it clean & dry, it should heal and you can let the cow raise it. You will just have to play it as it goes. If it heals and calf gets along fine, no reason to get rid of it.

Latest posts