calf losing leg hair

Help Support CattleToday:

acriswell

Reaction score
We have one calf, bottle fed, one month old, bought at the local sale barn when he was only a few days old. He had scours, we got that cleared up. A couple of days ago we noticed that the hair around his ankles (sorry, don't know proper cow terminology) is falling out in patches on a few of his legs. The skin underneath looks pink and healthy, not crusty, not in a ring shape, just losing hair. The areas don't appear swollen, but he does seem to be a little uncomfortable when walking. He's otherwise perky, normal appetite, clear, bright eyes, etc. This is our first calf, so we know NOTHING!!! Any ideas? What other symptoms should we be looking for?

Last fall I had a holstein calf that was a few weeks old and he was losing hair on his nose , I talked to the guy I get my calves from and he told me to give him a shot of B-complex ,I did and in a week or so it grew back. I wouldn't know if your problem is the same , but it couldn't hurt anything to try it.

We've had several calves that did that...wish I'd known about the vitamin B at that time.

One thing I did notice about them...they were never as healthy as ones that didn't lose hair in patches like that...and they were kept under what I know refer to as the poison tree.

No the tree isn't poison, but I truly believe the ground under it is...and was made so by bringing in a particular bunch (6 if I remember correctly) of baby holstein bulls from an auction that we put there and they scoured. We lost almost all of them.

We no longer put anything under that tree.

Alice

Latest posts