calf losing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
I have a six week old bottle calf that is losing hair on the back of his neck at the sholders. I have checked for parasites, there are none. There are flakes of dry crusty skin where the hair loss is. There is also short fresh new hair coming in. He is eating and drinking good and seems to feel good. What is it? What do I do for it?

Does he stick his head through an opening to eat/drink/ or just look around? Sounds like a spot that they would rub their hair off if sticking their head through something.
Also, could be ringworm.

No place to rub. His pen contains everything he needs. The pen is of tight grid welded wire. He can't get his head thru anything. The only thing he could scratch on is the feed trough. The crusty, dandruff stuff is what I wonder about. None of the other calves have it on them. But they can't actually make contact with each other. I'm with Jerry, I'm sure its ok, just would like to know the cause.

could be photosynthesis sp? ... and if so, the calf may wind up losing hair over most of its body... but it will all grow back..

good luck

jt

ctlbaron":3ivx33fa said:
JT tell me more about this. What is it and the cause?

cant remember if it is a virus, fungus or what, have only had one case of it a few years back and i just cant remember... tried to find a link for it, but cant... maybe someone more expertly trained in these computers will know a link to post...

but the calves are sensitive to the sun and they will lose their hair... i wormed my calf and sprayed different things on him, but didnt ever know which, if any of that, cured him... after about a month he was totally covered again with hair...

sorry i cant tell you more... maybe some others will add in here...

good luck

jt

I have two bottle babies that are losing hair around their eyes and faces.
I have wormed and powdered for parisites and still have hair loss. :?: :?: :stop:

I showed this calf to an old farmer. he said it's likely ringworm. He gave me as he called it,"a sure cure." He said to take a cup of bacon grease and put 3 table spoons of flours of sulfer in it. Make a paste and rub it in the affected areas. He said it would also cure the worst cases of mange on a dog. I put it on the calf we'll see if it works.

ctlbaron":2ksmglqv said:
I showed this calf to an old farmer. he said it's likely ringworm. He gave me as he called it,"a sure cure." He said to take a cup of bacon grease and put 3 table spoons of flours of sulfer in it. Make a paste and rub it in the affected areas. He said it would also cure the worst cases of mange on a dog. I put it on the calf we'll see if it works.
============
ctlbaron,

Sounds different...let us know if it works. There is a lengthy thread on ring worm...if you wanna search here.

"Photosynthesis sp?" is caused by ingesting a certain weed. If the toxin plant is removed from the diet, they clear up. They are extremely sensitive to the sun. Don't think that's the problem. Ringworm sounds like it. Never heard of adding sulfa powder.

Ringworm is a fungus & when you put bacon greese, Old motor oil, vaseline on it - it smothers the fungus - but you have to keep it covered with the oil/greese. I use vaseline - cheap, & clean. But first, I scrape all the dry flaky skin off with a curry comb - till they bleed, than put iodine or clorox on it - it will burn. THEN I keep it coated.

Latest posts