Calf losing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

Cbeck01

Reaction score
I have a 4 month old calf that is losing all of her hair, no other cattle are losing hair. She is an orphan that I bottle fed and then I turned her in with the other cattle a couple months ago and all of my cows alow her to nurse from them. I had the vet out and he said it was not a parasite or fleas and that he wasn't quite sure that maybe someone was licking her alot and that's why she is all patchy. Im just curious if anyone has had this issue before. I posted a pic below

Looks to still have hair underneath. Just appears to be losing its winter coat. If it losing it right down to the skin, then there's a health issue.

There is still hair underneath, no skin showing anywhere. She still has a great appetite and acts normal. I've just never seen one shed like this before, I can literally pull hair out by petting her.

Supa Dexta":2mvskidh said:
Looks to still have hair underneath. Just appears to be losing its winter coat. If it losing it right down to the skin, then there's a health issue.

What are some issues with losing it down to the skin? I have a 3 week olf calf that lost hair down to its skin. Its turned black but isnt crusty and doesn't seem to be irritating or itchy. I cant figure out whats wrong. Its out only livestock and I dont think its lice.

Was it wet for a while? Where is it losing the hair? If around its ass, scours/manure stuck on there for a bit of time will cause it to fall off. Losing it on its head is usually from being wet, an aggressive mother always licking, or had a fever at some point.

And what turned black?

Supa Dexta":al92e697 said:
Was it wet for a while? Where is it losing the hair? If around its be nice, scours/manure stuck on there for a bit of time will cause it to fall off. Losing it on its head is usually from being wet, an aggressive mother always licking, or had a fever at some point.

And what turned black?

Its on his hind leg and underside. When it first fell off his skin was pink and had no flaking scabs or anything , looked like a fresh shave. After a few days the skin turned dark but still doesnt look irritated. No necrosis or anything.

The calf did have scours and I have a hard time keeping him dry. Its been super wet here and he doesn't get up to releave himself so hes always a mess.

Hi!
Calves often lose hair in response to stress on their little bodies, particularly if they have been sick with a high fever. If there is already new hair growth underneath, and if your calf is otherwise alert and healthy then the worst is already over. The old hair may continue to fall out for a few days but only to make way for the new coat. The same thing happened to my own orphaned, bottle-fed calf but she is fat and happy now!

Christine

pickinwildflowers":1verqolo said:
Hi!
Calves often lose hair in response to stress on their little bodies, particularly if they have been sick with a high fever. If there is already new hair growth underneath, and if your calf is otherwise alert and healthy then the worst is already over. The same thing happened.... to my calf but....fat and happy now!
Christine
ME TOO!
I started losing hair when I turned 40.....fat and happy now. :nod:
A man that's bald in front is a great thinker and a man who's bald in back is a great lover.
And a man who's bald in both front and back thinks he's a great lover.

Several years ago I had this calf who looked normal at birth but then started loosing hair on her legs & face in 24-36 hours. It looked like this a few days then the skin turned black & hair started growing back. The vet didn't know what it was & my Ag extension ofcr checked with Texas A&M vet who said that the cow could have had a fever during delivery or had a mineral or vitamin deficiency. Or at the worse it was an immune disease & the calf would not get better. The heifer's hair grew back & within a few months, you couldn't tell.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 8
Several years ago I had this calf who looked normal at birth but then started loosing hair on her legs & face in 24-36 hours. It looked like this a few days then the skin turned black & hair started growing back. The vet didn't know what it was & my Ag extension ofcr checked with Texas A&M vet who said that the cow could have had a fever during delivery or had a mineral or vitamin deficiency. Or at the worse it was an immune disease & the calf would not get better. The heifer's hair grew back & within a few months, you couldn't tell.
Eight year old thread...

Oh no. I wonder how I saw it. I called myself looking at new post. I'm sitting here in line for the vet with my calf that has either a hernia or navel infection. I need to pay closer attention. Sorry about that.

Do cattle get rain rot? - It has rained 20" here since the first of the year. A few days ago I noticed my old Jersey (born 2011) out in the pasture furiously whipping her tail over her back and trying to turn around and trying to lick her tailhead area. Brought her up and slick but dry mud was plastered on her topline in the sacral area. Almost like she had fallen flipped upside down in mud or some thing.. I got a curry comb and curried the dry mud off.

There were hairless areas under the mud that looked like rain rot on a horse. Bald flakey areas with small amounts of bloody excoriation in spots. People here in SW Oregon keep their horses in turnout blankets the whole winter to prevent rain rot. I keep mine in turnouts for the same reason.

Anyway, I figured this was either rain rot or or lice. So I used ivermectin pour on, and have been keeping her up and spraying on Vetericyn every day for a few days. Looks like it is healing up just fine.

Last edited:
Yes, my oldest sons 4H steer last year had rain rot. He had super dense hair, almost like wool, that trapped every bit of dirt and moisture against his skin.

It was when we first bought the steer at 600 lbs, so it had time to clear up. The breeder we bought it from had already picked and peeled the crustyness away and had him all clean. I gave him a dose of LA300 mostly for some shipping fever, and he cleared up good. We had to make sure and keep his hair reasonably clean too.

Latest posts