Calf leg ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Moved all my cow/calf pairs to pasture 30 miles away. Last load had purebred black angus bull calf that was born on 4-12-13 come out limping real bad on hind leg first joint above his hoof. When your behind him looks like it turns in at that joint. I saw him put weight on it at first but then after about 30 mins. He would hardly put any weight on it. Makes me sick. Whatca all think Broken? Or just stepped on pretty bad? Thanks B&G

Hard to say without pics. First of all sorry to hear about the calf. Second you might need to call the vet.
Now some information on a calf I had. One of my better commercial calves twisted the joint on a rear leg, called the vet and he said I had two options.
1. He could do surgery and the calf should recover in 6 weeks for about 600.00 dollars
2. Leave the calf alone and he should recover in about six weeks on his own.
We chose option two, gave the calf a few shots and a lot of prayer, he was running with the others in no time crooked leg and all. We didn't let the calf get over 650# before we utilized him for a beef. Although this calf was not a registered calf like yours IMO you might not want to hold this calf for breeding due to possible re injury. I would check to see if the joint was dislocated or broken before I attempted to let it heal on its own. If dislocated set it and forget it.Good luck and hope he gets better.

We had one that was injured (broken leg) and it healed. It was a little larger than the other leg, but you had to look for it. Vet said to give it time. He did x-ray it.

Ok, Thanks for the response. I know he'll never be a bull. I'm just hoping he can go on to make a good steer and gain like he should.

Latest posts