Calf leg / hoof injury

Help Support CattleToday:

Kleago79

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Was out in the pasture today and noticed one of my calves had an injured leg. Got close enough to take a few pictures but it was getting late and I didn't have anything with me to catch him. Had some Vetericyn plus in the truck so sprayed the wound as best I could. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice. Was thinks by about trying to hit him with some LA 200 tomorrow if I can catch him. He's about 400 lbs. Nonothet cows showing any signs of being sick. Pics attached.

That is a fairly old wound, looks like it may have been a clean cut with something like some roofing iron to start with. The wound is granulating over well and will probably heal on its own. Spraying with some blue stuff may be achievable out in the paddock and makes you warm and fuzzy that you have done something.

Ken

Thanks for info ... he's still looking good today .. will keep an eye oh him and see how it goes ... he's walking good (no limp) ... looks a little more swollen than before but the upper portion looks like it's healing good ... if he starts to limp I'll catch him and take a closer look

I am having a similar situation with my 3-4 year old steer. Went out to top off their water and throw out some alfalfa pellets and noticed the steer couldn't get up and stand or walk. Instantly I thought broken leg. We got him up and moved to the front pasture away from the rest of the moo crew. Called the vet out, she checked him over, said no definite breaks other than a possible fracture in the knee cap. She hit him with antibiotics and pain killer. He was up and hobbling around an hour later. He has been able to get up and move around since. But walks like an old man after a hip surgery. He can't be put back in with the others as the bull is pushy and is probably the reason he has the limp. I'm hoping for a full recovery.

Schmitty":1wfvd1un said:
I am having a similar situation with my 3-4 year old steer. Went out to top off their water and throw out some alfalfa pellets and noticed the steer couldn't get up and stand or walk. Instantly I thought broken leg. We got him up and moved to the front pasture away from the rest of the moo crew. Called the vet out, she checked him over, said no definite breaks other than a possible fracture in the knee cap. She hit him with antibiotics and pain killer. He was up and hobbling around an hour later. He has been able to get up and move around since. But walks like an old man after a hip surgery. He can't be put back in with the others as the bull is pushy and is probably the reason he has the limp. I'm hoping for a full recovery.

Update?

Sorry to take so long to get back o the forum, life on the farm has just been very adventurous. Our steer with the hurt leg is back up and running without a hitch. The vet came out gave him a look over and moved his leg and shoulder through ranges of motion and said no breaks, possible minor fracture. Just kept him separated from the rest of the moo crew and after a month or so of slow hobbling to slow and steady walking and a bunch of alfalfa pellets to get him bulked up as suggested by the vet. He is more rowdy then ever. So much in fact that I have the Mobil slaughter guy coming out in January. Time to put meat in the freezer to feed the family and take some load off the pasture to ready for the calves coming next spring. Thanks for asking how it healed up. I'll be sure to stay more active and follow up on the forum.

Latest posts