Calf just born, hasn’t nursed

Help Support CattleToday:

Awesome news ! So glad he's nursing momma . Not all bull calves are lazy but I have found they are usually born later than their due date and either are a tad lazy or dumb . Please , no comments from the ladies about a typical male . 🤪 There are more experienced folks on here that agree or disagree with what I said about bull calves. Good looking calf ! I love black baldies .
Yes he's just overly lazy and/or dumb! I found him nursing this morning and he's just really lazy about it! Never had a calf like that. But he's thriving! Just a very chill calf. I'm going to band him today and I doubt I'll need any help holding him down because he's a chill dude!

It is something you should know. And it's scary because you can kill a calf if you get the liquid (colostrum replacer/supplement, milk replacer, electrolytes) in the lungs. My vet walked me through it the first time.

There are numerous esophageal feeders available, but my favorite (by far!) is the Trusti Tuber. It makes drenching a calf virtually foolproof. I even bought one for my vet a couple years ago (he also has cattle) and now, that's all he'll use. The length of the tube can be adjusted according to the weight of the calf. The calf clamps on to the mouthpiece or there is a clip you can attach to secure it to its mouth, and you simply slide in the tube. The bottle has a vent, so no awkward squeezing, and also comes with a nipple similar to the peach teat.

Thanks for sharing that! I only calve out at most 5 calves per year but I do need to know how to tune in case of an emergency situation. UC Davis is about an hour and half away from me and I can always haul cattle down there but for a very pretty penny…. So I try to avoid at all costs 😅

I am getting some multimin from my vet to start giving to all the calves when they are born. The bottle says discard 9 months after opening. Is it safe to continue using the bottle as long as it's within the expiration date?

I've used to tube feeder a lot, got plenty of practice when I raised around 100 dairy calves a year, and also with calves from our cows. Then used a different tube feeder but same principle for lambs.
I've had more practice with the old bag style tube feeders. I don't really like the newer ones that have like plastic bottle to hold the liquid. They say they easier but seems awkward to me. All are risky to use and I get nervous ever time.
I probably use them more often most would, but my philosophy is to get colostrum in a calf as soon as possible if it's cold and they seem weak and slow to get up and nurse. I've found that getting that in them gets then some energy and strength to find it from the cow.
If there looks to be a problem with the cows udder ranging from no milk to possible mastitis it is a good idea to get her in a chute and check it. If the calf seems forward and stout, and the cow is fairly easy to manage I try to get it to nurse her first.
We try to keep several bags of colostrum on hand for just such an emergency.

I have the Magrath style. plastic bottle with a tube attached. You just bend the tube so no milk can flow, slide down their throat, then tip the bottle up and it's easy. The bag (to me) is super awkward. Way too much line to mess with. I can tube by myself.
But, everyone having calves should learn how to tube a calf. It's easy, once you learn how to do it the right way.

I have the Magrath style. plastic bottle with a tube attached. You just bend the tube so no milk can flow, slide down their throat, then tip the bottle up and it's easy. The bag (to me) is super awkward. Way too much line to mess with. I can tube by myself.
But, everyone having calves should learn how to tube a calf. It's easy, once you learn how to do it the right way.

Latest posts