Calf just born, hasn’t nursed

Help Support CattleToday:

If he isn't wanting bottle or nursing on the cow, I would think he is nursing when you are not around. sucking should be a natural instinct for a newborn calf, so it is either full or has other problems. if it acts normal as far as moving around, looks comfortable when laying down, and moves around from place-to-place, I would just let it go for a day or so. it will survive just fine for a day even if not sucking on cow as long as it drank colostrum the first 12 hours. My experience is that if it sucked the bottle on day one, it will suck the bottle on day two unless it sucked the cow. good luck.

He is either full or just dumb. Have to feel his belly and make a judgment call. Every other indicator is he is doing fine and doesn't want any more milk.
It's hard for me to tell if his belly is full or not. He just seems sleepy. Not sure if I should set up a camera in barn and watch out today to see if he's nursing or call the vet.

Yep. Like @GoWyo said. He's either full and sleepy. Or dumb.

Sometimes it's really really hard to tell. But if he got a belly full last night he should be OK til this evening.

If he's not nursing he won't take the bottle anyway and you'll just waste the supplement
Thanks for the help! He seems healthy otherwise. I'm thinking of setting up a camera in the barn to see if I can catch him nursing today. Otherwise I might call my vet just to be proactive.

If he isn't wanting bottle or nursing on the cow, I would think he is nursing when you are not around. sucking should be a natural instinct for a newborn calf, so it is either full or has other problems. if it acts normal as far as moving around, looks comfortable when laying down, and moves around from place-to-place, I would just let it go for a day or so. it will survive just fine for a day even if not sucking on cow as long as it drank colostrum the first 12 hours. My experience is that if it sucked the bottle on day one, it will suck the bottle on day two unless it sucked the cow. good luck.
Yes he had a full bottle of colostrum supplement (I couldn't find the full replacer) and he's fine otherwise. Thank you!

91764D9C-3953-4ADA-8106-1CD720CDADD7.jpeg5434056B-E002-4493-AC06-8BCE38DDED84.jpegC117FF2D-C3DA-4930-A2C2-598DB33E60BF.jpeg
Here are a couple teat pics. Don't know if they are helpful or not. None of them seem sucked because they aren't slick/shiny. I hand milked one of the teats.

The 2 rears appear nursed. But hard to say
Yep, and often times, no matter how much momma tries to push the calf around to the side, a calf will come in from between the rear legs anyway. The closest spigots get the action.
Good looking functional teats on momma too. A little big 'maybe' but way better than the tiny things.
(I feel a little dirty typing that..)

So fill us in on the calf? How is he/she doing this morning?
Well I got out here early and first attempted to get calf up to mom and squeezed a bit of milk onto nose. Then tried to get teat in mouth. No success. Milked out a bit from mom and put in a bottle. Wasn't at all interested in the bottle either. His tongue would kind of flop to the side. He is warm, and had a temp of 101.1.

Yep, and often times, no matter how much momma tries to push the calf around to the side, a calf will come in from between the rear legs anyway. The closest spigots get the action.
Good looking functional teats on momma too. A little big 'maybe' but way better than the tiny things.
(I feel a little dirty typing that..)
Too funny!! Yes her rear teats seem to be nursed but I really can't tell because they don't appear shiny, as they usually do after being nursed on. I agree they are a bit large but nothing out of hand.

Well I got out here early and first attempted to get calf up to mom and squeezed a bit of milk onto nose. Then tried to get teat in mouth. No success. Milked out a bit from mom and put in a bottle. Wasn't at all interested in the bottle either. His tongue would kind of flop to the side. He is warm, and had a temp of 101.1.
the calf sticking the tongue out is a reaction to not wanting it in there. common reaction from a calf with a full tummy. from the pics, I would agree that teats look sucked on. if cow didn't have milk dripping out of other quarters when you milked out one, that would indicate that they were not full of milk from not being sucked on. I think calf is doing as it should.

Check around the area for calf poop. Should be a pile of dark color and mite still be on his butt. If you see fresh yellow stuff he is on his way in life
Yes I watched him pass a dark thick like substance but nothing since then. That was this morning at about 5:45. It was his first poop so I was happy to see that! He's been laying down sleeping since but going to go check on him again shortly.

the calf sticking the tongue out is a reaction to not wanting it in there. common reaction from a calf with a full tummy. from the pics, I would agree that teats look sucked on. if cow didn't have milk dripping out of other quarters when you milked out one, that would indicate that they were not full of milk from not being sucked on. I think calf is doing as it should.
Ok thank you for the input! I just get so dang worried if I don't see them nurse right away. I should have stayed around and watched after he was born but I've never had a problem and she pushed him out in about 2 minutes and he got right up so I wasn't concerned. Thanks again so much!

Well, still doesn't appear that calf has nursed. Tried a bottle, refuses. Sticks out tongue and kind of snorts like it's going into his nose. Still waiting on vet to reply. I have never tubed a calf but I need to find out when that needs to get done as I think the only food in his stomach is the bottle of colostrum from 18 hours ago. Taking him to the vet tonight so they can tube him.

I think before I did all that....

Assuming the calf is acting normal otherwise, I'd pen the cow and calf seperate for 12 to 18 hrs and then put em back together and see what the calf does.

Does the calf mill around with mama? Sleeping alot? Limp as a noodle?

Let us know what the vet says.

Edited to add...
Have you ever dyed teats?
Kool aid works in a pinch

Last edited:

Latest posts