Calf just born, hasn’t nursed

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Had a calf born at 12:30 today. Came out health and got up right away. It's now 4:30 and doesn't seem like he's nursed at all. I have tried to get him up to mama and her teat in his mouth but he's just not interested. He will suckle in my finger a bit.

Ok will give colostrum. Thank you. Just really doesn't look like he has nursed. I only know because it's been muddy and wet, and her teats had a bit of mud on them. She still has dried mud on her teats

Ok will give colostrum. Thank you. Just really doesn't look like he has nursed. I only know because it's been muddy and wet, and her teats had a bit of mud on them. She still has dried mud on her teats
Watch her afterward to be sure it nurses. But for now be sure it gets the first milk.

Personally, I'd get her in the chute and wash her udder. Milk the colostrum out and feed the calf.

If the teats weren't all muddy, it's easy to tell if a calf has nursed.
A lil moisture on your hand and grab a teat. It'll be slick as butter on a bald monkey!
The ones that ain't been nursed won't be like that. Calf slobbers are slickery!

Also, unless ya watched em for 4 hours I'll have a guess he's nursed and just ain't hungry...
Better safe than sorry tho!

Personally, I'd get her in the chute and wash her udder. Milk the colostrum out and feed the calf.

If the teats weren't all muddy, it's easy to tell if a calf has nursed.
A lil moisture on your hand and grab a teat. It'll be slick as butter on a bald monkey!
The ones that ain't been nursed won't be like that. Calf slobbers are slickery!
It's difficult to tell too because she was laying down again when I went to check so maybe he did nurse and she got muddy again? Thanks for the tips! I'm going to mix a bottle just because I think it'll be quicker but will clean her up after and see what we can get done!

Just gave the little guy a bottle of colostrum and he drank the entire bottle. I'm still trying to get him to go for the teat though. It's now almost 6pm here. Should I get up and check middle of night or just wait till morning to get her in chute and try to get him to nurse?

That's great!
The bottle should do him. Honestly I'm surprised. There's instructions on the colostrum bag as to how to proceed. I believe a colostrum supplement will be in order for his next bottle. Unless ya wanna work with him and the cow now

On second thought....
I'd tug on that cows teats. Perhaps she's plugged and he just gave up?
Better make sure she's got milk

That's great!
The bottle should do him. Honestly I'm surprised. There's instructions on the colostrum bag as to how to proceed. I believe a colostrum supplement will be in order for his next bottle. Unless ya wanna work with him and the cow now

On second thought....
I'd tug on that cows teats. Perhaps she's plugged and he just gave up?
Better make sure she's got milk
Oh good thought! I was sort of messing with her tears trying to get one in his mouth but he was being darn stubborn!! I never knew how strong a calf could be if they didn't want to do something. But she didn't like me messing with her too much. Do you think the calf will do ok overnight and then first thing AM, I can get her in chute and milk her out if I have to? I should try tonight if necessary but being that it's dark and me and the headlamp never seem to get along very well. I think it's time for a new one! Lol

Oh good thought! I was sort of messing with her tears trying to get one in his mouth but he was being darn stubborn!! I never knew how strong a calf could be if they didn't want to do something. But she didn't like me messing with her too much. Do you think the calf will do ok overnight and then first thing AM, I can get her in chute and milk her out if I have to? I should try tonight if necessary but being that it's dark and me and the headlamp never seem to get along very well. I think it's time for a new one! Lol
I would think calf will be OK. Ya got about12 hrs to get all the Colostrum ya can in the calf before its wasted.
I think ya wanna get the 2nd dose in the calf in about 6 hrs and it'd be much better coming from the cow.

I'd never get to sleep. Be wondering all dang night what's going on out there! 😆

I would think calf will be OK. Ya got about12 hrs to get all the Colostrum ya can in the calf before its wasted.
I think ya wanna get the 2nd dose in the calf in about 6 hrs and it'd be much better coming from the cow.

I'd never get to sleep. Be wondering all dang night what's going on out there! 😆
I know that I'm right there with you and won't get much sleep!! I'll be up before the sun is I know that. Thank you so much for the advice. I might see if another feed store has the same brand colostrum so I can give one more dose. But I'm hoping this will perk him up. He was sucking and drank the whole bottle but wasn't really feisty about it.

It should be fine until morning. With the colostrum you gave it may have more strength and suck by itself by morning. You done good.
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. I'm glad I asked here and gave colostrum. Of course it's supposed to storm like crazy tonight so hopefully the little guy does ok.

7186680F-E636-4CE9-9F61-E06B67CB622F.png
This was the only colostrum supplement our local feed store had. I'm confused however because is this a replacer or just a supplement…? It seems a bit unclear to me.

I know that I'm right there with you and won't get much sleep!! I'll be up before the sun is I know that. Thank you so much for the advice. I might see if another feed store has the same brand colostrum so I can give one more dose. But I'm hoping this will perk him up. He was sucking and drank the whole bottle but wasn't really feisty about it.
You have the best colostrum you can get right there in the cow. If he still won't suck in the morning you can milk her. No expenses that way.

Latest posts